How long will Bill Gates stand with us?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Is there a contract deciding how long M$ is going to support the macintosh platform? Maybe even if their contract runs out they will renew it because the mac platform is just another cash source.

Take a look at this 1997 historical moment.

<a href="http://homepage.mac.com/macintosh4"; target="_blank">http://homepage.mac.com/macintosh4</a>;

[ 01-11-2002: Message edited by: Macintosh ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    logan calelogan cale Posts: 1,281member
    They don't need a contract to develop Macintosh software.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    [quote]Originally posted by MacAgent:

<strong>They don't need a contract to develop Macintosh software.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I thnk they signed one in 1997 for a five year deal. They probably should continue to though, that is if they like being a monopoly with a heart.

[ 01-11-2002: Message edited by: Macintosh ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 15
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Apple is not even on Microsofts Radar anymore. Their largest threat is Linux. I don't expect them to pull Microsofts SW...they don't need to.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    [quote]Apple is not even on Microsofts Radar anymore. Their largest threat is Linux. I don't expect them to pull Microsofts SW...they don't need to. <hr></blockquote>

Apple still has a larger worldwide market share than Linux, and now controls the world's 'Easiest to use UNIX based OS'. But I think Microsoft realizes that there will always be the 5-6% of us who will always buy a Mac. I have no plans to buy a Windows based PC, and no reason to either. I don't own anything that Microsoft has produced other than my XBox which I won. I have never spent a cent on a Microsoft product. I don't plan on it either.

We'll have to see what Microsoft will do when the 5 year agreement expires. A lot of people seem to think that the Mac platform can't survive without Office. We'll just have to wait and see I guess, but I don't think they will drop support for a while.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    Oh, come on people. Of course Microsoft will continue development for Apple. They've said the MBU is very profitable.

Besides, Bill obviously likes Apple. Why else would he have kept Apple afloat with that contract back in 97? If you will recall, Apple was sinking like the Titanic.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    I would imaging they're very profitable... holy crap v10 is expensive.

(office is making an effort to be legal on software--finally)
  • Reply 7 of 15
    sinewavesinewave Posts: 1,074member
    Gates would develop Office for toasters if he thought he could sell enough.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    [quote]Originally posted by starfleetX:

<strong>Oh, come on people. Of course Microsoft will continue development for Apple. They've said the MBU is very profitable.

Besides, Bill obviously likes Apple. Why else would he have kept Apple afloat with that contract back in 97? If you will recall, Apple was sinking like the Titanic.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I was under the impression that they kept Apple afloat back in 1997 not because they liked Apple, but because if Apple went under then it would be harder to convince the DOJ that they did not have a monopoly.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Wait...Bill Gates is standing...*WITH* us? When did this start happening? I thought he just wanted to feel like he controls the Mac market by virtue of MS Office...or maybe wanted to keep us afloat so he could argue he doesn't have a monopoly.

I had no idea his intentions were upstanding! To think I thought Bill and Co. were an underhanded bunch....all along they were just trying to be helpful to us and make SOHO computing easier for Mac users! Wow...

[ 01-12-2002: Message edited by: Moogs ? ]</p>
  • Reply 10 of 15
    [quote]Originally posted by Stroszek:

<strong>...but because if Apple went under then it would be harder to convince the DOJ that they did not have a monopoly.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Maybe... but I remember very clearly that in the documents published in the DOJ trial, Apple was pointed out as not being competition with Microsoft. If not to keep Apple as "competition" for the trial, why else??
  • Reply 11 of 15

<strong>

Maybe... but I remember very clearly that in the documents published in the DOJ trial, Apple was pointed out as not being competition with Microsoft. If not to keep Apple as "competition" for the trial, why else??</strong><hr></blockquote>

pointed out by whom? Microsoft or DOJ? i can't remember
  • Reply 12 of 15
    [quote]Originally posted by Stroszek:

<strong>pointed out by whom? Microsoft or DOJ? i can't remember</strong><hr></blockquote>IIRC (of course, it has been a long time) the judge declined to consider Apple a real competitor in the same market as Microsoft. I remember this so well because the online community was making a big fuss about it.

Maybe someone else can shad some more light on it?
  • Reply 13 of 15

<strong>IIRC (of course, it has been a long time) the judge declined to consider Apple a real competitor in the same market as Microsoft. I remember this so well because the online community was making a big fuss about it.

Maybe someone else can shad some more light on it?</strong><hr></blockquote>

well then if it wasn't Microsoft saying this, and it was only the judge that didn't consider Apple as a competitor, then Microsoft could have still bailed Apple out, hoping that Apple would be a competitor, but not knowing that they weren't?

if that made sense.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member

<strong>

If not to keep Apple as "competition" for the trial, why else??</strong><hr></blockquote>

Simply to make money. I read a few months back that Microsoft had unloaded all of the Apple shares it bought in 1997. If they timed the sale right (and I'm sure they did), they got a nice return on their investment.

Escher
  • Reply 15 of 15
    bogiebogie Posts: 407member
    I wasn't aware that Bill ever stood with us Mac users.