How Do I dl something with Mac

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Ok, There's this video link I want to dl. I click the link and it automatically goes to quicktime which can't play that type of video, AVI. How can I dl the thing? I really miss that right click from windows.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    jlockjlock Posts: 10member
    ok so 6 people have viewed this not including me and none have replied.

Is that because my question is stupid or you have no idea what i'm talking about?
  • Reply 2 of 9
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    You can't download things with a Mac.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    You can CTRL+click on a link and choose to download the file to your hard drive. If the file doesn't play in Quicktime, try VLC player.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    keotkeot Posts: 116member
    option+click in safari automatically saves the linked item to the desktop.

ctrl+click brings up a menu to let you do this amongst other things.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Right click on the link and save it to the disc?

Or get Quicktime Pro and save it through that little quicktime arrow in the bottom right corner. QTPro costs though.

Quicktime can do different kind of AVI's, it just needs the codecs. Do a search on Versiontracker for 'codec'.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    jlockjlock Posts: 10member
    which codec would you recommend?
  • Reply 7 of 9
    squozensquozen Posts: 66member
    DiVX, once they release a version that doesn't suck under 10.4.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLock

Ok, There's this video link I want to dl. I click the link and it automatically goes to quicktime which can't play that type of video, AVI. How can I dl the thing? I really miss that right click from windows.

Hi JLock,

Not sure why people weren't more helpful to start with - perhaps genius bar would have been a better place for your query.

Firstly, if you miss the right click from windows - fear not, for it is present in OS X too. If you are using the standard Apple mouse or trackpad, you can do a "right-click" by holding down the cntrl key whilst clicking. This will work in any app.

If you'd prefer to have a real right button, and maybe a scroll wheel too, OS X has full support for mice multi-button mice and scroll wheels. You can therefore use any USB mouse (including Apple's new mighty mouse) you like with your computer. If you're using a laptop, I recommend sidetrack

On the avi/movie playing side of things, I would strongly recommend that you get the 3ivx codec rather than the DivX codec, as it is able to de-code all DivX content and does a much better job of it IMHO. You'll probably find that quicktime won't play DivX avi's without modification of said avi's. Some say that this is a bug in quicktime, others allege that DivX avi's with mp3 sound don't conform to the avi specification, and that is why quicktime won't play them.

Also, as other people have mentioned, VLC and Mplayer are both musts, they can be found at versiontracker.com
  • Reply 9 of 9
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLock

which codec would you recommend?

Download VLC for all of your non-Quicktime needs. Plays DVDs, too!