Can I install OSX onto a firewire drive?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Is it simply a matter of mounting the firewire drive, restarting from the DVD (Tiger) and selecting the firewire drive? Will it stay mounted after I startup from the install disk? The reason I'm asking is my frankenmac (G4 Yikes with a flashed PC Radeon 7000 PCI) will not install 10.4. Installer.app just quits with errors when I click "Install". Either that or I'll just clone my iBook's HD (10.3.8) using CCC.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    In a word no. I tried that with 10.4.0 and I got a kernal panic a day. Apple support said they don't support firewire drive installs. Not sure if that has changed with 10.4.2, but I don't think so.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Yes it does work. But if you can't install on your main HD there is no reason to think that it will work on and external.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    OK thanks for the feedback, I think I'll try carbon copy cloner first.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Doesn't the Yikes support Tiger? G4, Firewire, 256MB. The Apple system requirements don't mention AGP.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Karl Kuehn

Yes it does work. But if you can't install on your main HD there is no reason to think that it will work on and external.

Have you tried it? Because it certainly didn't go well for me - though now that I think about it, the kernal panics only happened when I was working in Adobe Illustrator.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    yes the Yikes is supposed to support Tiger but I cant install it, I thought it must be the Radeon 7000 PCI, but I can boot and get a display so I dont think thats it. I installed 9.2 fine but it has a few problems on boot, I had to remove 2 ATI 3D extensions before I get to the desktop OK. (OS9, whoa, its been a while..... like 2 years)

Gonna do the CCC thing using 10.3.8 from the iBook, if that dont work looks like ebay, I ain't going back to using OS9.....