Apple's Jobs to unveil Japanese iTunes service

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple Computer chief executive Steve Jobs will be on hand in Tokyo today to formally introduce a Japanese version of the company's industry leading iTunes Music Store, sources tell AppleInsider.

Jobs is slated to kick-off a special music event at 10:00 am at the Tokyo International Forum-- just a matter of hours from now.

According to sources, the iTunes Music Store Japan will launch with a catalog of well over 500,000 music tracks, which will mostly consist of music from the US and European iTunes stores.

With over half-a-million tracks, the iTunes service will be more than double the size of its largest local competitor, Sony-owned Labelgate.

Last Tuesday Apple Japan sent out invitations to select journalists and members of the media inviting them to the invite-only special music event.

Official iTMS Japan Logo Image

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    macnut222macnut222 Posts: 100member
    The event is starting now. Check apple.com (or apple.co.jp) in about 1-1 1/2 hours for an update.

Poor Napster (I mean that literally). I'd feel sorry for them...if I cared.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Give me an Australian store. Please? Cherry on top? Extra cream on the side?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    macnut222macnut222 Posts: 100member
    Not 500,000. One million tracks - at ¥150 and ¥200 each.

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2005/aug/04itms.html
  • Reply 4 of 5
    katyakatya Posts: 6member
    I hope the rest of Asia follows soon. I'd really love to be able to download songs from the iTunes music store.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    I can't buy any songs on iTunes Japan from Canada. Anyone from the US able to buy the songs?