transferring User Account to 2nd Mac, or something similar?How to?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hey all,

currently we have a G5 iMac with 3 user accounts on it. My siter's, my mother's and mine. Im buying an eMac and i plan to network the computers so that they share an internet connection, an external HD and can transfer files.

what i'd like to know is, is there some way i can move my entire User Account to my new computer so that it is shared between the two? Or so that they atleast appear the same?

If i were to move my User Account off the iMac and onto the external HD, then i could share it through that? Or if i atleast moved the relevant files?

basically, if what im talking about is possible, and you know how to do it, can you tell me? Or if you know a website with detailed instructions?

thanks you

PS. should this be in the Genius Bar?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    danmacmandanmacman Posts: 773member
    There is a program called Carbon Copy Cloner which can copy your user account to the new machine without issue. I did it when I upgraded to Tiger. I doubt that it will live update though on both systems. Perhaps putting it on the external would work. You should create a dummy account and test it first before you lose all of your data in your main account.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    If you really want true syncing of the account, the only way I can think of to do it without major Unix hacking is to use a dot-mac account to sync the two computers. That way, anything you do on one will get synced to the other thru the common storage on dot-mac, of course within the storage limits of the dot-mac account.

It seems there should be some third-party utility to sync Home directories over a local network, but I don't know of any names offhand.