best way to transfer data from old iMac to new iMac?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
1.what's the best/easiest way to transfer files from my old iMac to the new one coming??

2. plus, will i have any problems running Quark on Os X? do i need to use 9.2?

3. for mail, i use Entourage....is "Mail" with OsX better?? thanks....dang so many questions that won't truely be answered till the new computer arrives...g

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    There are several methods.

1. All iMacs have 10/100 ethernet built-in since. If you have a crossover cable, you can network the two iMacs. This is probably the easiest way if your old iMac does not have FireWire.

2. iMacs with FireWire allow FireWire target Disk mode.

----Connect the old iMac to the new iMac via a FireWire cable, and boot the old iMac while pressing "Command-T". The old iMac will showup as a hard drive on the new iMac.

3. If your old iMac has a CD-RW drive, burn a CD-R with the appropriate files you want to tranfer to the new iMac. This is probably the easiest if the iMacs are in vastly different locations.

4. If both iMacs are in different locations but are connected to the internet, you can also use a service such as iDisk or simply email the appropriate files to the new iMac.

[ 01-12-2002: Message edited by: Nostradamus ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 16
    [quote]Originally posted by Nostradamus:

<strong>

4. If both iMacs are in different locations but are connected to the internet, you can also use a service such as iDisk or simply email the appropriate files to the new iMac.

[ 01-12-2002: Message edited by: Nostradamus ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Or if you have a broadband connection, you can set up a ftp server.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    bradbowerbradbower Posts: 1,068member
    Well, the only way you can get Entourage for OS X is if you buy a form of Office v.X. The entire package (Word, Entourage, Excel, PowerPoint) retails for $499. Students get it cheaper, and I even know one college that has a deal with M$, and they sell all Microsoft products for like $5/CD (you can only buy one of each, though). There is also a combo of just Entourage and Word that you can buy, I forget it's price, maybe like $199 or something. I saw it at CompUSA. Of course, you can just warez it too. If you think that's acceptable.

Mail.app is pretty good though. It has a better interface, it's much cleaner, it has low overhead, and it doesn't "glom" ( ) all of that extra PIM stuff I don't need in it. It has rules, multiple accounts, supports POP, IMAP, and of course iTools, and it just works good. I've been using it for months. I only open Entourage probably every few days to download my iTools mail and check my less important Hotmail addresses.

[ 01-12-2002: Message edited by: bradbower ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 16
    adam11adam11 Posts: 163member
    If you have airport you can use that too via the connect to server command in the Go section of the finder command bar (you need to know the IP of the target computer from the Network control panel - you should now the password if you own both computers).

Cheers

Adam

[ 01-12-2002: Message edited by: Adam11 ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 16
    Quark should run OK in Classic. It's one of the first programs I was able to get to run smoothly in Classic, while I was still struggling with Photoshop and Flash (both of which I eventually figured out).
  • Reply 6 of 16
    thanks for all the answers....yes i got office 2001 from my university job for a "great" price...i like Entourage and use it now, but was wondering if Mail is better and i should switch when i get my new iMac....my current iMac is firewire, so perhaps i'll just connect them with firewire and switch over programs before i move the old iMac to one of the kids room (haven't told them about the new iMac yet)...thanks all g
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Just so you know, Office v.X (which runs natively on OS X) and Office 2001 (runs on OS 9, or possibly in Classic), are two different versions of software. IMHO, much improved, more stable, as well as Aqua-ized. Hope you get really cheap prices, because you're going to have to buy Office again. Though, I guess, upgrade price will be even cheaper yet.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Also, just so you know, and before you go installing Office v.X on two computers on the same network (if they aren't networked, which it sounds like they aren't at all, it's not really a problem), whenever any Office app is opened, it broadcasts all over your network on a random port between 3000 and 4000 or so, so if you try to open any Office app on another computer and it detects that, it won't allow you to do so (i.e. the kids are typing up their book report, and you try to check your email--no go until they're done).
  • Reply 9 of 16
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    machines won't be networked...

ok, thats for all the input....

if you could choose just one way to transfer from iMac DV 400 MHz with firewire and ethernet (looking for fast and EASY)...which would you choose:

A) Firewire to Firewire

B) Ethernet to Ethernet

thanks---need to either get a Firewire cable or an ethernet cable...trying to firgure out which one to buy....wait...i have a firewire cd burner..i can use that cable to connect iMacs right....thanks again g
  • Reply 10 of 16
    [quote]Originally posted by thegelding:

<strong>machines won't be networked...

ok, thats for all the input....

if you could choose just one way to transfer from iMac DV 400 MHz with firewire and ethernet (looking for fast and EASY)...which would you choose:

A) Firewire to Firewire

B) Ethernet to Ethernet

thanks---need to either get a Firewire cable or an ethernet cable...trying to firgure out which one to buy....wait...i have a firewire cd burner..i can use that cable to connect iMacs right....thanks again g</strong><hr></blockquote>

Firewire is FAST and VERY easy. I transfer stuff between my pismo and imac all the time this way. It is much easier than using a crossover cable. (Not that it is hard, but FW is a cinch). You will find that a firewire cable will cost you more though, and you need the less common cable that is the same at each end. Check ebay.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    sockboy: i have a firewire cd burner connected to my iMac...the cable is the same at both ends, so i think i have that covered...so i will do the firewire to firewire gig....i take it that i turn on the new iMac, connect old iMac with power off, then power up old iMac while pressing "command-T"...thanks all....now just waiting on mew iMac to ship...g
  • Reply 12 of 16
    cdhostagecdhostage Posts: 1,038member
    Firewire target disk all the way, baby. I used it all the time to defragment and optimize my HDs.s
  • Reply 13 of 16
    cdhostagecdhostage Posts: 1,038member
    Firewire target disk all the way, baby. I used it all the time to defragment and optimize my HDs.s
  • Reply 14 of 16
    [quote]Originally posted by cdhostage:

<strong>Firewire target disk all the way, baby. I used it all the time to defragment and optimize my HDs.s</strong><hr></blockquote>

What program do you use to defrag your iMac's drive?
  • Reply 15 of 16
    [quote]Originally posted by thegelding:

<strong>sockboy: i have a firewire cd burner connected to my iMac...the cable is the same at both ends, so i think i have that covered...so i will do the firewire to firewire gig....i take it that i turn on the new iMac, connect old iMac with power off, then power up old iMac while pressing "command-T"...thanks all....now just waiting on mew iMac to ship...g</strong><hr></blockquote>

That's it. Couldn't be easier eh? The HD of the old imac will appear on your desktop as another drive, and you can just drag the stuff you want over.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    sweet!! can't wait....hurry the hell up apple and ship me my new iMac.....gonna be fun....g

ps..never hooked up two computers directly before...actually looking forward to seeing two hard drives on that new iMac LCD screen...funny how the small things make us happy..g