Could Apples switch to Intel make it possible for Sony to sell Macs?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I wondering if anybody thinks that Apple's eventual switch to Intel processors makes it more likely for Sony to offer computers with OS-X (or maybe even a new OS-11) in the next few years?

Theres even new rumors that the PS3 might come with a version of OSX as well instead of Linux.

Comments

• Reply 2 of 24
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    No

Apple doesn't need Sony's help selling OSX based computers.
  • Reply 3 of 24
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Yechh... that's like saying Ferrari's switch to fuel injection will mean that Kia can now sell Ferraris. Sony PCs have a terrible reputation. In fact, that's true of most of their products... incompatible, difficult to repair, difficult to get documentation on, difficult to program, not particularly reliable, on and on.
  • Reply 4 of 24
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I wouldn't count it out completely. I think it's possible that, down the road, Apple could become a Microsoft, a software-only company. Apple is developing quite a suite of software, including high-margin pro software. It's not happening now or in the near future, but if there's an opportunity in the future, and it seems to be a better business model than selling the hardware, why not?
  • Reply 5 of 24
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Sony should buy apple.
  • Reply 6 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by e1618978

Sony should buy apple.

That would be the worst aquisition in the history of computing.
  • Reply 7 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

That would be the worst aquisition in the history of computing.

I don't think so - Sony would then have a lock on portible music, online music distribution, and high quality notebooks.

They could also put Mac OS X on the PS3, which would not happen otherwise. If microsoft positions the xbox 360 as a PC replacement, then Sony would have to provide something better.
  • Reply 8 of 24
    Sony is infatuated with DRM

They could have never created iTunes or the iPod. Sony is generally horrible at software.

They have sexy designs like Apple but below the surface Sony is the old aging stalwart and Apple is fairly fresh.
  • Reply 9 of 24
    skatmanskatman Posts: 609member
    Quote:

high quality notebooks.

Sony already has notebooks of higher quality than Apple so aquiring Apple will not help their quality.
  • Reply 10 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by skatman

Sony already has notebooks of higher quality than Apple so aquiring Apple will not help their quality.

Apple and Sony together have a lock on high-quality notebooks, which is what I said. I never implied that Apple would increase Sony quality, only that nobody else besides Apple and Sony makes high-quality notebooks.
  • Reply 11 of 24
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Quote:

... only that nobody else besides Apple and Sony makes high-quality notebooks.

Phooey. I'll take an Apple over a Sony any day of the week.

Murchison is right, Sony is lock-in champion of the world. Them acquiring Apple would be a defeat for civilization; but not the worst acquisition in the history of computing. I think no acquisition in the h. of c. could ever be worse than AT&T's acquisition of NCR.
  • Reply 12 of 24
    Quote:

Apple and Sony together have a lock on high-quality notebooks, which is what I said. I never implied that Apple would increase Sony quality, only that nobody else besides Apple and Sony makes high-quality notebooks.

IBM also makes high-quality notebooks. In my opinion, Sony makes high-design notebooks, but their quality is nothing above average.
  • Reply 13 of 24
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    depends upon what is meant by "quality"

Panasonic and Dell also make high quality notebooks, but you have to pay for them. Dell also makes crap notebooks, that you almost don't have to pay for, and they make average notebooks that can be had for reasonable prices. You can't get a decent travel weight, and/or gag-free styling though, unless you spring for a more expensive model.

Toughbooks, pricey, but indispensible for the market that relies on them.
  • Reply 14 of 24
    Quote:

Sony should buy apple.

That rumor has been spreading as long as the Apple switching to Intel rumor. It just isn't going to happen.
  • Reply 15 of 24
    Or apple could buy Nintendo.

The hardware guys would move over to Apple - Apple would be the hardware design lab, and Nintendo would concentrate on software.

Imagine a hybrid of the Revolution and the mini, or the iPod and the gameboy mini...
  • Reply 16 of 24
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mynamehere

IBM also makes high-quality notebooks. In my opinion, Sony makes high-design notebooks, but their quality is nothing above average.

IBM does not make notebooks of any kind. It sold off its PC business including laptops to Lenovo.
  • Reply 17 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

IBM does not make notebooks of any kind. It sold off its PC business including laptops to Lenovo.

OK...fine...you damn nitpickers...

IBM used to make high quality notebooks, which are now made by Lenovo.

Happy?
  • Reply 18 of 24

Back on topic, I don't think Apple is interested in selling any part of their company at the moment. They're on a roll and there's no reason to stop now.

Jobs is smarter than that.

I think.
  • Reply 19 of 24
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Quote:

Sony should buy apple.

... leading to the demise of at least one of these brands, making a small number of directors very rich and the rest of the world a lot poorer. Mergers or takeovers between companies of this size are ALWAYS a complete bloody disaster and are purely to feed the ego and bank balances of a few very greedy people. I don't believe Apple or Sony are run by people of this sort.

Pointless rant... never going to happen.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    skatmanskatman Posts: 609member
    Quote:

Panasonic and Dell also make high quality notebooks, but you have to pay for them.

Dell hasn't made a single notebook for a LONG time.

It rebadges Compal, Quanta, and BenQ crap. Their best are rebadged Samsung (DELL X1), but the durability still leaves a lot to be desired.

IBM's notebooks were made almost exclusively by LG for the past 5 years or so.

The only brand name companies which continue designing and building their own notebooks are Panasonic, Fujitsu, Sony, and , partly, Toshiba. Out of those, only Panasonic and Fujitsu continue to build the entire line in Japan. Sony and Toshiba moves the production of their value models to USA, Malaysia, and China. The high end models are built in Japan.