mac/photoshop advantages

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
before switching to mac i heard a lot about how photoshop is "easier" and "made for mac". Well after switching and using photoshop on tiger i dont know whats different. The only thing i found different is that i cant acess some things like image/resize with the alt-i alt-p or whatever shortcut it was in wintendo (i hate taking the mouse hitting image, going down and selecting image/resize). so is there any truth that photoshop is better on mac or am i missing something here.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Other than the fact that it doesn't corral all your open documents into one big clunky window, not much.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    that is a very good point its nice to have a bunch of them all over and click it to be back in p -shop
  • Reply 3 of 8
    regreg Posts: 832member
    If you are in iPhoto you can hit shift-cmd-e and that is the export shortcut where you can resize which ever photo you have selected. Apple still has a while to go before they have a photoshop replacement. As for the Mac edition being better....not by my estimates. It is a great app that has more than I will ever be able to use as proficiently as I would like.

reg
  • Reply 4 of 8
    i don't think there's much difference, but i've only use windows photoshop maybe twice in my 14 years of using photoshop nearly daily.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    Traditionally, Macs have been more colour-accurate than Windows boxen, usually a huge deal in the publishing and image-editing world, where Macs still rule.

And you can customize most shortcuts.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    really no difference between mac and windows versions of photoshop except the window issue, which can be changed on a mac anyway. ditto with the macromedia studio.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    rongoldrongold Posts: 302member
    Here are some reasons I like using the Mac version of Photoshop as compared to the Windows version. There may be more but I just can't think of them right now.

Microsoft's OSes and the Windows based Photoshop use the much smaller sRGB IEC61966-2.1 color space.

Macs use the bigger Adobe RGB ( 1998 ) ? or Apple RGB ? in Photoshop (and every other app for that matter).

The big print guys can actually use a CMYK ColorSync profile/space as a standard working space on Macs. Not possible on Windows.

The RGB space is bigger but I can justify sacrificing some color sometimes by entering into this CMYK space to take advantage of the separate black channel and 3 color channels for doing things like sharpening just the black channel for better results, doing things like building selections, running some filters, etc., etc., etc. ? all for superior results as compared to RGB manipulation. Yes, I actually sacrifice color going in and out of CMYK but using a CMYK based profile reduces this. Or course, if your file is output to a CMYK device, you are not sacrificing color.

Macs use a gamma that will actually let you see and notice the darks and the shadows. These dark colors (from 0 to about 70 or 80 out of 256 levels) are just squashed to hell and are all muddy on Windows. How can you possibly manipulate a photo or composite like this?

ColorSync is far nicer than Microsfot?s attempt; and much more powerful.

Mac monitors display at 72, PCs at 96. So in a web browser, everything is reversed in size. Not sure which is better here. It could be subjective but I like the workflow here and the outcome that I see on a Mac browser. Small just looks more professional than big and gaudy. I guess you could alway accomodate, but you don't have to on a Mac.

Box tabs in the preferences is confusing as hell on a PC. I like the Apple solution/interface much better. You can actually know where you are at a glance. And why do those freakin? tabs move around in Windows? Talk about confusing. Interface elements should be consistent. Not move every time you click a button. Jeebus. This goes for the Printer Settings too.

Speaking of preferences, I think the Mac has more settings and flexibility under Scratch Disk settings, not sure on this one.

The quality and quantity of Photoshop plug-ins on the Mac is far greater than for Windows.

I hate the Windows ?windowing? in Photoshop. This goes for the menu options AND the way stuff is displayed in the workspace. More flexible on a Mac. Plus, with Expose now, it is even better.

Oh, perhaps most importantly, based on the way Photoshop works and relies on RAM. The Mac?s OS is far superior in that it will give Photoshop access to unlimited quantities of RAM. Microsoft Windows XP is limited to 2GB (or 4GB if you have 2 processors) and this is shared with the OS (which is a hog) and other applications. Mac OS X doesn?t use as much RAM as Windows does and when switching to another app, Apple?s far superior Virtual Memory scheme parks it and frees up the RAM. That together with Apple?s unlimited addressing of RAM makes Photoshop better for the Mac too.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    rongoldrongold Posts: 302member
    WAIT!!!!

I forgot ANOTHER... EXTREMEMLY important Mac feature. Apple's AppleScript technology (and now Automator too) together with the huge dictionary of scriptable elements that Adobe puts into Photoshop, makes you incredibly more productive on a Mac than a PC.