TCPA in MacIntels

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
The x86 developer boxen have this thing implemented, but Apple's OS has yet to implement it.

For people who don't know what TCPA is:

Basically, media, software, and anything else copywrited may eventually require authorization based on a specific ID built into the hardware of your computer.

This means if you switch computers and want to keep your software, you'll probably have to do telephone tag with half a dozen companies just to install your software, like you do now with fine products like windows XP (blech).

This can and WILL interfere with legal use, and I for one don't care if it didn't; it's my damn computer, getchyer hands off it you damn dirty apes!

Of course, the Macrumors crowd is like "woo go Apple fight the pirates... mommy I'd like my chocolate milk now."

The fact is, everyone has things to hide and hassles they want to avoid. TCPA is a huge privacy concern.

Frankly, I don't trust Apple not to do this. Apple will already delete iTMS-purchased music off your hard drive under certain circumstances, I see the use of TCPA as only slightly worse than that.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Hasn't this topic come and gone for an eternity? As of what I know, the TCPA will come in to ALLOW you to install MacOSX not to interfer other things. I am also strictly against TCPA, but as of what I know, there has been no official word about it.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Quote:

Originally posted by martinjanson

Hasn't this topic come and gone for an eternity? As of what I know, the TCPA will come in to ALLOW you to install MacOSX not to interfer other things. I am also strictly against TCPA, but as of what I know, there has been no official word about it.

Obviously it hasn't been discussed enough. TCPA is different from the special ROM chip they put in the Developer macs.

TCPA is strictly anti-piracy, the ROM chip is just for the OS.

Arguably they are one in the same. However, TCPA can and probably will to some extent be used as DRM.

There is no official word from anyone but MS about this. MS is going to load Longhorn (vista) up with so much DRM, even the MONITOR will require a chip just to let certain media play!!!
  • Reply 3 of 6
    If TCPA is used by others to controll your PC then it is horrible but if you have full controll over the TCPA for your decision how it shall be implemented then it can be good but I am like you, I prefer not to have it and will refuse to buy hardware with it.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    jimdreamworxjimdreamworx Posts: 1,095member
    Quote:

Originally posted by slughead

...so much DRM, even the MONITOR will require a chip just to let certain media play!!!

Don't give them ideas! They might start with video cards...
  • Reply 5 of 6
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JimDreamworx

Don't give them ideas! They might start with video cards...

here's what I'm talking about

spin-free version
  • Reply 6 of 6
    kenaustuskenaustus Posts: 924member
    There is going to be something in Mactels that will allow OS X to run with "Intel Inside". There is simply no way that Apple is going to allow OS X to run on any Intel based computer, be it Dulls or white boxes.

After having OS X operational on an Intel computer for 5 years I'm confident that they have worked out the best approach to protect their investment in OS X and all of the other apps. I really wouldn't worry about it too much as it's going to be this level of protection (regardless of what it is) that will allow Apple to continue to invest half a billion dollars a year in R&D - making Mac users future even better.