Tiger mail question...

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I created a 'smart' mailbox and used it to filter some of my messages from my inbox... What I am attempting to do is have certain messages sent there when they come in... Now when I send the existing messages from my regular inbox elsewhere they are removed from my 'smart' mailbox. How can I set this up so when I delete messages from my in box they are not deleted from my 'smart' mail box and are automatically filtered there when they come in? Thanks in advance...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    I don't think you can do that with smart mailboxes. Smart mailboxes only filter items in your inbox. Why not creat a normal mailbox and have a rule move the email from the inbox into the mailbox?
  • Reply 2 of 2
    nijiniji Posts: 288member
    Quote:

Originally posted by OS X Guy

I created a 'smart' mailbox and used it to filter some of my messages from my inbox... What I am attempting to do is have certain messages sent there when they come in... Now when I send the existing messages from my regular inbox elsewhere they are removed from my 'smart' mailbox. How can I set this up so when I delete messages from my in box they are not deleted from my 'smart' mail box and are automatically filtered there when they come in? Thanks in advance...

i think you would benefit from clearer use of terms:

-smart boxes dont store anything. a smart box only allows you to view messages that fit given criteria. messages that appear in a smart box are actually stored somewhere else, in an incoming mailbox or a physical actual folder. not however, stored in the smart box.

-if you delete something from yr inbox, you are deleting that mail from yr entire system. if you move something from yr inbox, it can and should still be able to appear in a smart box. it will do so if you filter it with correct terms.

-creating a smart box does not filter anything from any inbox. it merely can duplicate the visability of the mail so that it can and will be visable in both the inbox and the smart box.

if messages dont appear in the smart box after you move them to a different location/storage folder/mailbox, then the filtering terms you use for yr smart box are not correct or need to be changed.

if you want to describe exactly what your filter terms are, we can help you further.