why can't i listen to concert links at NPR.org on my ibook?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
since this must be a software issue, i am posting here. if i click on one of the live concert links from npr.org such as:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=4540031

i can't get it to play on my ibook. when i click on it, a small QT file is downloaded. i then click on the QT player and i get a "unsupported transport - 461" message.

when i click on this concert link using my dell at the office, it automatically opens and plays fine.

i downloaded real player to see if it would play through that, but no luck. i really wanted to highjack a few of these recordings using boom box, but can't do it since it will not play on my ibook.

any help here? thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    The file is an SMIL file, and it's used to wrap all sorts of streaming info. What's inside, if you drag that file to TextEdit, is:

<smil>

<meta name="title" content="NPR Audio" />

<meta name="author" content="http://www.npr.org/"; />

<meta name="copyright" content="2005 NPR" />

<body>

<audio src="rtsp://real.npr.na-central.speedera.net:80/real.npr.na-central/asc/live/20050326_asc_interpol.rm" />

</body>

</smil>

See the long line with rtsp: at the beginning? That's a Real Time Streaming Protocol link. It ends in .rm, meaning it's a Real Media file. Copy that link, from rtsp: to .rm.

Open RealMedia Player, and go to File -> Open Location. Paste the link. It'll play.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:

QuickTime

Your SMIL presentations can use any media elements that QuickTime can play, including still images, audio, text, QuickTime movies, sprite animations, live streams, VR panoramas and VR object movies.

Although SMIL is a W3C recommended standard, there are some differences in how SMIL players interpret SMIL code. When creating SMIL presentations for QuickTime, it is important to understand these differences to ensure the best compatibility. SMIL is best supported by QuickTime 5 or higher.

QuickTime handles the Duration attribute differently from SMIL for RealPlayer. In order to add a Duration to an image that is intended for playback in QuickTime (Fluition for Macintosh only) the following steps must be observed:

1. Make sure the file is a supported type (e.g. use .mov files for video instead of .rm)

2. Instead of using the Duration field in the Clip Library in Fluition for an image, leave the Duration field blank (this will ensure that the SMIL code created does not contain any information that the QuickTime player will misinterpret). Freeze tags also do not currently work with images in QuickTime.

3. To add a Duration to an image intended for QuickTime, enter the following text into the Extra Code field in the Clip Library for that image and click Apply:

dur="HH:MM:SS" (where HH:MM:SS is the desired time value)

4. Make sure you have selected QuickTime as your preview player program in the Preferences window (Edit>Preferences).

Fluition will preview the presentation using QuickTime in the same way that RealPlayer presentations are previewed.

For more information on using QuickTime with Fluition visit www.apple.com/quicktime/authoring/qtsmil.html for an excellent guide to using SMIL and QuickTime. The above referenced web page will also give you access to QuickTime specific extensions in order to customize your presentation for QuickTime.

Note: For more know issues with regards to differences in authoring for different Players check the Frequently Asked Questions section on the Support pages at www.fluition.com

Looks like they haven't made the SMIL compatibale properly for the mac, leave them a message incase they don't know about it.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    kickaha-

thanks for the info - i followed your steps and it worked. i will now need to see if i can get highjack to work for it.

cybermonkey-

if i follow you correctly, it is not working since the file has the meta name info. before the playable link, which is confusing the QT player. if the smil link only had the "rtsp: to rm" info, it should work w/o a cut and paste of that line, right?

thanks for the quick answers!
  • Reply 4 of 5
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    No, it isn't working because QuickTime doesn't play Real Media streams.

XML files (like the SMIL file) can have their data in various orderings, and still work. The problem is that the RTSP stream is in the Real Media format, and QuickTime doesn't know what to do with that. Hence, the error.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Funny, I tried it and I'm listening to Interpol on Quicktime.