iTunes network hack?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hi.

Anyone know a hack that will let me play songs that are on another computer on my LAN?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    [quote]Originally posted by Anders:

<strong>Hi.

Anyone know a hack that will let me play songs that are on another computer on my LAN?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Let's call the computer you want to play songs on the client, and the LAN machine you have the songs on the server.

Find the "iTunes" folder inside the "Documents" folder on the client machine (if you are in OSX the "Documents" folder is inside your user folder). Delete, move, or rename this folder.

Find the "iTunes" folder in the "Documents" folder of the server machine. Create an alias of that folder in the "Documents" folder of the client machine. Make sure the alias is named simply "iTunes" and not "iTunes alias."

Next time you run iTunes on the client machine all your tracks and playlists will be the same as on the server machine. If you are detached from the LAN either purposely or accidentally iTunes will refuse to run on the client machine unless you replace the alias you made with a "real" iTunes folder.

This has been working for me for months without a hitch.

[ 01-13-2002: Message edited by: blybug ]

[ 01-13-2002: Message edited by: blybug ]</p>