How do I sync all my computers between home/office

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I am pretty mac savy but as of yet do not have a .mac account (working on this).

I work at home wirelessly on both a new 12" ibook and a G5 imac using my ISP. Both have TIGER.

In my office, I have an older emac with PANTHER & DELL Inspirion (puke) laptop for bookkeeping and spreadsheets that is wireless as well using a different ISP that a bunch of businesses in the building all share to save $. I have an xdrive that I use to back up each computer as needed, and use a firewire port and control T to pass stuff from one computer to the other (pain in the ass).

It seems like each computer contains documents that I need at any given time, and I find myself having to fish it off each computer and forget which computer I used to create a certain document. Ideally I want to do this for convenience as well as security if one computer is stolen or crashes, the others will have the same info.

I would love it if all my computers, G5 imac, ibook and old emac have all the same stuff on it. I am not that concerned if I can't get the DELL to sync with my macs.

Is this possible? Do all my computers need to run the same OS (Tiger) as my office emac still has panther (but I can update that).

If you can break it down for me - exactly what i need to do in the simplest way possible to have all computers current with the same programs, documents, iphoto, ical, itunes... even bookmarks, that would be awesome! I would settle for each computer having the same documents ONLY if the rest is too much.

I was just assuming that I can use .mac to back up each computer? I just don't know. Hope this makes sense!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Not sure about all that, that could cause headaches

But why not have a simple soltion like a dedicated file server or if your concerned about theft, get an external network HD, just plug it to your hub and store your files there and you could take it with you?
  • Reply 2 of 2
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    I was going to say that, too, although it could just be as simple as a "bonjour" network.