Contextual menues - 1 or 2 click behaviour ?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hi everyone!

I switched to the Mac platform this march and i was never

happier with any pc I have bought. My Mac mini will soon be

replaced with a 15 or 17 inch powerbook.

Beside all the other good things I've noticed about OSX I am

really happy about the fact that you can just hold the

right mouse button until the contextual menue pops up and

you've selected an entry, then release your finger and tada,

the desired function is triggered. That's different to

Windows and in my eyes much better and user friendly. Same

thing with the menu bar. Left click, hold, aim, release ->

function triggered.

What's your behaviour? Do you use a two click mechanism like

right click, select and then another right click for

triggering contextual menue options?

I only had one problem - with mouse gestures. I used to

trigger them with the right mouse button for a while. That

didn't allow me to use the ergonomic button-holding

mechanism as described further up. But when I'll be home in

september, even this problem will vanish! I've ordered

the Mighty Mouse and it's happily waiting for me to asign

it's squeze buttons to my gestures app - if it supports

them. Hopefully.

What do you think? How do you use the contextual menues??

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    Welcome to Mac.

What else do you like/not like about the switch?

We can help if you need it.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Welcome! I am *highly* amused by this, since the click-hold-select used to be the only way the Mac did it, and click-release-select was how Windows did it. Apple put in the Windows way after a *large* amount of griping by people used to Windows. Kind of funny to see someone actually be happy about the Mac behaviour, after all the flamefests that occurred. Heh.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    I've always had a two button mouse on my Macs, as far back as OS 8 and possibly 7 ( I can't remember that far back). Right clicking to get a contextual menu is what I've done for years. Works very well for me.

This one click and hold to access a contextual menu is new to OS X. I like it, problem is this only applies to the Dock, anywhere else you still have to right click. Hence I don't use it, I like consistency. If the one click applied universally I would probably ditch the right click method for accessing contextual menus... maybe.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Welcome! I am *highly* amused by this, since the click-hold-select used to be the only way the Mac did it, and click-release-select was how Windows did it. Apple put in the Windows way after a *large* amount of griping by people used to Windows. Kind of funny to see someone actually be happy about the Mac behaviour, after all the flamefests that occurred. Heh.

Actually no, well, let me rephrase that. Having been a Mac user since 1984 and long before ever touching a Windows PC I too felt the click release method to access menu bar items was a better method. Having to hold that damn mouse button while deciding what I wanted to select from the menu is awkward at times. Back then the problem was solved by installing a Utility that allowed you to click and release the menu bar without having it collapse on you when the button was released. Eventually Apple adopted this method. I don't believe Windows 95 had even been released when this change was done. But my memory may be faulty on this.