PB on monitor, higher resolution?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
If I connect the 12" powerbook to an external monitor, will I be able to set a higher resolution than the 1024 x 768 that it displays on its own little screen? Cause on a big monitor, that wouldn't be an impressive resolution really...

And how does it work if I was to connect the widescreen 15" to a non-widescreen monitor? Does it adjust to the different format, or does the widescreen picture get "squished"?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    you can adjust to whatever the video card supports. I wouldn't worry about it much, its gonna look pretty dang good on most anything you plug it into...except for s-video out to a 52" TV, kinda sucks.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Yeah it's totally independent of the display on the PowerBook itself, and is not limited to its own display's resolution.

The 12" will support up to 2048 x 1536, including the Apple 20" and 23" displays, while at the same time using its own 1024X768. I believe one of the other PowerBooks with the extra RAM may be required to drive the 30" Apple display, but I'm not sure about that.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    i got it running on a 1280x1024 lcd monitor.

HINT! I got serious signal problems "ghosting" when using an analog connection with my LCD monitor. Now I use a DVI cable (digital) and it looks crystal clear now.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by dacloo

i got it running on a 1280x1024 lcd monitor.

HINT! I got serious signal problems "ghosting" when using an analog connection with my LCD monitor. Now I use a DVI cable (digital) and it looks crystal clear now.

Not sure what that whole ghosting thing means...could you elaborate?

Also, are the powerbooks really that noisy when running on an external monitor?
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by Taustin Powers

Not sure what that whole ghosting thing means...could you elaborate?

Also, are the powerbooks really that noisy when running on an external monitor?

I was in our local Apple store where they have every PB model hooked up to external monitors and saw no problems.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    ghosting: diagonal lines, transparant, "waving" and "scrolling" on the screen. you can see the screen quite well, but these lines annoy. Has to do with the cable shielding. Good cables probably dont have this problem, but with DVI you are sure of absolutely no ghosting; the signal is sent digitally.