Avi

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
well after doing some searching online i found a codec that would work on a mac to use play AVI files. Well my problem is that quicktime will play the files but i get no audio, very frustrating. Can anyone point me to a codec that works?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    It doesn't have to do with the codec necessarily. The AVI file audio could have been encoded to use Dolby Digital and if you don't have a 5.1 system hooked up to your computer, like some of the stuff I have downloaded before has been, and if that is the case then you need to re-encode the audio. Now you may be thinking that's too much work but in reality it couldn't be simpler. Download this free software and then click on Tools, Re-encoding avi/mpg, drag the AVI file into the window and click on Settings beside re-encoding only an audio track, then Clikc ok. Once that is finished try to play that AVI file and it should work 100%. I have to do this for mine so you might need to do it for yours as well. Not sure what you could be downloading but I bet this works for you. Also the DIVX codec can be found here as well as you could try VLC Player instead of Quicktime.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    well i tried that on the 3 avi's i had, didn't fix any of them unfortunately. When i burn them to disc and play them on my other laptop (toshiba) it plays hte video just fine.

Any other ideas?
  • Reply 3 of 7
    tomjtomj Posts: 120member
    i like vlc player myself. give that a try.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Yes, VLC is very good.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    my computer plays avi's pretty well, i've downloaded a lot of codecs and upgrades, but if you have divx and quicktime pro, it should work pretty well
  • Reply 6 of 7
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    yess, that vlc 0.8.2. for mac is now very teh stable and plays lots of codecs. *brainflash. will it play on the mac windows media hd? testing now... edit: no, vlc doesn't play wmvhd on my mac but vlc plays wmvhd on my pc

i feel 'dirty' when i would use quicktime on mac to play divx or xvid
  • Reply 7 of 7
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kernel843

well after doing some searching online i found a codec that would work on a mac to use play AVI files. Well my problem is that quicktime will play the files but i get no audio, very frustrating. Can anyone point me to a codec that works?

I would strongly recommend that you get the 3ivx codec rather than the DivX codec, as it is able to de-code all DivX content and does a much better job of it IMHO. You'll probably find that quicktime won't play DivX avi's without modification of said avi's (using the DivX doctor II program that comes with 3ivx). Some say that this is a bug in quicktime, others allege that DivX avi's with mp3 sound don't conform to the avi specification, and that is why quicktime won't play them.

If your files do have ac3 sound, try using this codec.

If you open your avi's in QuickTime, and then do a get info, QuickTime should tell you which codecs are in use. report back here if you are still having problems.

Also, as other people have mentioned, VLC and Mplayer are both musts, they can be found at versiontracker.com