Screen Saver stutter

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I just noticed this but cannot be sure when it started. I can't think of anything I've done that could have effected it.

Cosmos, beach, forest, nature patterns, iTunes artwork, and abstract all stutter as they zoom and fade. Flurry is the only one that plays normally.

I also think that there is a stutter when I use expose but the windows move pretty fast so I'm not totally sure.

Games, iTunes visuals, and Quicktime all stream beautifully as usual, so its a small thing, just wondering if anyone might take a guess as to whats goin' on with my baby.

TIA

1.8 MP

6800 ultra

P.S. Oh, DW and TTP show no problems. Also did repair disk (DU) from 10.3.9 on another partition which showed no probs.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    freestatefreestate Posts: 123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by deadeye

I just noticed this but cannot be sure when it started. I can't think of anything I've done that could have effected it.

Cosmos, beach, forest, nature patterns, iTunes artwork, and abstract all stutter as they zoom and fade. Flurry is the only one that plays normally.

I also think that there is a stutter when I use expose but the windows move pretty fast so I'm not totally sure.

Games, iTunes visuals, and Quicktime all stream beautifully as usual, so its a small thing, just wondering if anyone might take a guess as to whats goin' on with my baby.

TIA

1.8 MP

6800 ultra

P.S. Oh, DW and TTP show no problems. Also did repair disk (DU) from 10.3.9 on another partition which showed no probs.

Do you have Quartz D2 Extreme turned on? If so this could be the problem...
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Quote:

Do you have Quartz D2 Extreme turned on? If so this could be the problem...

Umm, does that mean I have to install the developer tools to see if its enabled or not? I never played around with it ...

Also wanted to mention that the screen saver on 10.3.9 on my firewire backup drive works fine.

Thanks
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by deadeye

Umm, does that mean I have to install the developer tools to see if its enabled or not? I never played around with it ...

Also wanted to mention that the screen saver on 10.3.9 on my firewire backup drive works fine.

Thanks

Nope if you never turned it on its not on

Do you have a lot of apps and widgets open when it stutters? - If so it could be a RAM problem (not enough). I think 10.4 uses more memory, some one will correct me if Im wrong Im sure
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:

...it could be a RAM problem (not enough).

Thanks for the reply Free but I got 5 Gs of Apple/Crucial, I got carried away (hehe). I remember testing it w/ the CD that came w/ the G5 but I cant boot to that now 'cause of the 6800 I don't think.

Anyway, I checked Activity monitor and I have 0 pageouts and things seem normal.

I haven't found anything else thats not running smoothly. Just the screen savers are jerky and also I still think the action of the windows pulling back and zooming in w/ expose and dashboard (water effect seems ok) is not smooth anymore.

Thanks again
  • Reply 5 of 7
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    I would check the basic things first. Like running OnyX to Repair permissions, Run the Maintenance (corn) Scripts and Optimize the System. Maybe the pref file for the screen saver is corrupted try deleting it. Hope something helps.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Thanks Aqua -

Quote:

Run the Maintenance (corn) Scripts and Optimize the System

I think you mean the cron scripts? (hehe) I have Macaroni running the scripts regularly on automatic and have on all my machines for years. I forced them to run on your suggestion but nothing changed.

I trashed all screen saver pref files before I posted my problem. Should have mentioned I already did that sorry.

Where do the instructions or the code come from that make the screen savers and windows pan and zoom? Could something be corrupt there?
  • Reply 7 of 7
    I re-installed 10.4.2 to no avail.

Screensavers look to play fine in the little window within Sys Prefs. Sometimes when I hit thes test button they will try to load then quit. When they do load full screen they just stutter along as the pan and zoom and fade. And the window movement across the screen when activating expose and dashboard still seems jerky to me.

I recently (before seeing this problem) drug a sys 9 folder over from 10.3.9 on my FW drive. I was gonna delete that but I can't see why that would have an effect...

Anyway, still tryin' to figure this out. Any suggestions most appreciated!

Thanks