making Registered Users with Appletalk, how to?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
hey all,

in a few weeks i should have a router, but in the mean time im trying to connect my eMac to iMac using an ethernet cable and Appletalk.

I think i've got all that working fine, but how do i make myself 'Registered User' on both computers so that i can connect?

at the moment i have been going Network/Sams-Computer.local, then i press Connect and it comes up asking for a Registered User and a password!

i used to know how to do this on OS 9.... i swear it was easier than it is under OS X.

i've searched the mac help and had no luck... and i've looked around the Sharing and Networking preferences without any luck! Is there someway i can just turn off this security crap and just Connect?

if you can help, please do

-thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    fahlmanfahlman Posts: 740member
    Quote:

Originally posted by spiers69

hey all,

in a few weeks i should have a router, but in the mean time im trying to connect my eMac to iMac using an ethernet cable and Appletalk.

I think i've got all that working fine, but how do i make myself 'Registered User' on both computers so that i can connect?

at the moment i have been going Network/Sams-Computer.local, then i press Connect and it comes up asking for a Registered User and a password!

i used to know how to do this on OS 9.... i swear it was easier than it is under OS X.

i've searched the mac help and had no luck... and i've looked around the Sharing and Networking preferences without any luck! Is there someway i can just turn off this security crap and just Connect?

if you can help, please do

-thanks

in the Sharing System Preference click the check box next to Personal File Sharing. Then, in the Accounts Preferences make an user account just like the one on the other computer, using the same name and password. This should do it. When you're in the Connect to Server dialog box there's a Options button, I think (I'm not on a Mac right now), click it. You can choose to add your user name and password to your Keychain.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    OS X is a multi-user operating system from the ground up. All users (even if there is only one) have a user name and a password. You should have had to set these when you installed OS X.

In OS X, if you turn on file sharing, any Users (listed in the accounts section of system preferences) will be able to connect remotely to the computer by entering the same name and password that they would use to log on to the computer directly (i.e. not over the network). If they are administrators, when they log in remotely, they will have the choice of mounting the whole file system or just their user space. If they are just standard users, they should be able to only mount their own user space.

Once you know this, I hope you agree that it makes intuitive sense and is better than OS 9.

I hope that made sense.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    spiers69spiers69 Posts: 418member
    Yes you're right. Once i worked it out it all made more sense.

You see, on one computer my user account is my first name+my last name, and on the other it's just my first name... so that made things a little confusing... plus i was looking for a button to add Registered Users.

Thanks