Backlight keyboard

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
My backlight is not going on, and the room is totally dark. i have no clue how to get the backlight back on.

also, i sent in my computer to get pixles fixed, and the computer came back 3-4 weeks later and the pixles are still not fixed. im kinda pissed. and i just got the thing back, and the backlit keyboard doesnt seem to be working

otherwise i may just be an idiot .

thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    go to your keyboard system preferences and make sure "illuminate keyboard in low light conditions" is checked.

if it is, then press the F8 key to toggle the "mute" for the keyboard backlight. you know its on when you see this:

then of course make sure you press F10 until the brightness meter goes all the way up.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    ok, i click on the system preferences icon, and i go to the keyboard and mouse, and i can't seem to find the place where it allows you to check that
  • Reply 3 of 10
    keotkeot Posts: 116member
    The bottom option:-

• Reply 4 of 10
    wow, that totally doesn't show up for me. i have nothing below the "use F1-F12 key thing. anyone know why?
  • Reply 5 of 10
    please help!
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Are you sure that you have a backlite keyboard?
  • Reply 7 of 10
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    You might have a 12". They do NOT have the capacity to illuminate the keyboard in dark atmospheres.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    I have a 15 inch g4 powerbook with superdrive. i have used the backlight all the time before i sent it off to get the pixles looked at. but it now seems as though i can't turn it on. im getting kinda pissed at apple right now. i mean i love the computer, but i send it away for 3.5 weeks, and it comes back and the pixles arent fixed, and now it appears as though my backlight is now gone. im a noob to computers, and i think what they did was changed some power thing (something that has to do with bringing power to the processor? maybe?) for no reason what soever. im calling tomarrow to get to the bottom of this.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    xav3xxav3x Posts: 36member
    i have a 15" and after clean install of tiger i can't get it come on.. i pressed F8 and i get the light thingy... but it has a not changeble icon on it. so i can't turn it up or on or off.. what then?
  • Reply 10 of 10
    keotkeot Posts: 116member
    Quote:

Originally posted by xav3x

i have a 15" and after clean install of tiger i can't get it come on.. i pressed F8 and i get the light thingy... but it has a not changeble icon on it. so i can't turn it up or on or off.. what then?

Remember that the backlit keyboard only illuminates in low-light conditions. Place your hands over the speakers to confuse the light sensor.