the powerbook equivalent of the new mouse

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Seems to me if Apple were planning this out correctly we will see a PowerBook that has a new trackpad design enabling 2 buttons like the new mouse.

This makes sense just because of consistency alone across the PowerMac PowerBook product family.

I also think that Apple very likely realizes that once the Intel-based Macs become reality they will in fact be selling desktops and notebooks that are very compelling for existing Windows users. With that target audience in mind, a two button design for the trackpad on PowerBooks also looks compeling.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    reidreid Posts: 190member
    Quote:

Originally posted by fastfingers

Seems to me if Apple were planning this out correctly we will see a PowerBook that has a new trackpad design enabling 2 buttons like the new mouse.

This makes sense just because of consistency alone across the PowerMac PowerBook product family.

I also think that Apple very likely realizes that once the Intel-based Macs become reality they will in fact be selling desktops and notebooks that are very compelling for existing Windows users. With that target audience in mind, a two button design for the trackpad on PowerBooks also looks compeling.

The PowerBook already got it's equivalent to the scroll ball in the Scrolling Trackpad. The second button is less necessary given the close proximity of the keyboard's "ctrl" and "option" keys to the trackpad.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Well, I know about the scrolling trackpad, I have one with my latest PowerBook.

But I still stand that there's demand for a 2-button trackpad solution for PowerBooks too and even more so once the switch to Intel and potential dual-boot Windows customers.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Reid

The PowerBook already got it's equivalent to the scroll ball in the Scrolling Trackpad. The second button is less necessary given the close proximity of the keyboard's "ctrl" and "option" keys to the trackpad.

Ugh, not at all. I use sidetrack as using ctrl-click is cumbersome. Seeing as Apple has implemented this on desktops, it would be Apple's style to bring a similar device to the PowerBooks. Ctrl-clicking is getting long in the tooth now.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by mattyj

Ugh, not at all. I use sidetrack as using ctrl-click is cumbersome. Seeing as Apple has implemented this on desktops, it would be Apple's style to bring a similar device to the PowerBooks. Ctrl-clicking is getting long in the tooth now.

I agree. I'm also saying this make the notebooks more marketable to Windows switchers.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    danosaurdanosaur Posts: 258member
    the iScroll allows you to right-click by placing two fingers on the trackpad then clicking. Apple could likely do something similar.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    After using the MM for a while and loving it I can see its design incorporated into PBs. The only question is if they will include the nipple as well - that would solve the scrolling issue.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    keotkeot Posts: 116member
    I hope Apple don't over-complicate the PowerBook's trackpad. You don't need more than one mouse button if you've got ~80 a few centimeters away.

Opening links in new tabs is easy with one hand, you can reach the right hand command key with your little finger. It would be easier if I were left handed so all the meta keys were under my pinkie. Perhaps on the next keyboard Apple should change the right hand return key into a control key. That would make single-handed right clicking easier, although I rarely use such a function.

I use Blender (a 3D modeling application which usually demands three mouse buttons) with ease. It took a bit of relearning, but so does switching to the Mac platform.

I could see Apple making the whole mouse button touch sensitive so you could make as many buttons as you want on it, but it isn't something I'd use. The 'Scrolling Trackpad' must be kept though.

Single mouse buttons must be kept. It stops brain-dead developers hiding things.