BestBuy bait and switch or just stupidity?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
We all know that Bestbuy is essentialy the slime of the electronics universe, but this seems low even for them

Why is that sccreenshot of OSX itunes, not Windows iTunes? it is a Windows unit, unless Apple has made a strange deal with e-Machines under the radar, which so obviously didnt happen. So was it a dumb graphic layout person or a clever bit of trickery?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    What's on the screen of computer displays or televisions in ads is usually photo-shopped on to the screen. Seeing Mac programs running on PCs is not uncommon in ads. There is no conspiracy. 99.99% of the population doesn't notice.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    heh. its a major in-joke among most ad and design (especially print) studios. this one is a bit misleading, but the fact that itunes is on pc and they have an ipod mini there, i think they can generally get away with it.

if you look carefully at the itunes screen it seems as though the entire left panel is taken up by a long vertical shot of the artiste... last time i opened itunes the album artwork only takes up a small portion of the bottom left corner

artistic license 8) joe dumbass jock sixpack and stupid teenie barbie wannabe girl won't notice.... and the parents are mostly concerned about the money, education, and all those parent-worry things to notice that OMFG in that 1-inch picture its not a windows version of iTunes...!! what they will notice is if any best buy employees are not giving them enough info or being otherwise rude when they walk in the store
  • Reply 3 of 21
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    The spread was probably layed out on a Mac. The screen shot of iTunes was probably taken on that Mac.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    I usually don't have problems with ads that have chicks in them, even though I've never actually seen anyone dance with an iPod in hand.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    They do since mac UIs always look cooler
  • Reply 6 of 21
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    i like the girl in the ad. she and i started dating a couple weeks ago when i got that ad in the mail.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

i like the girl in the ad. she and i started dating a couple weeks ago when i got that ad in the mail.

Now ipodandimac, remember when you fell in love with the girl on the Wheaties box? Well it turned out she was real too, but that didn't make her your ladyfriend. </HankHill>
  • Reply 8 of 21
    And don't forget about that court order filed by the girl from the Noxema ad.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Mental picture, BE GONE.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by Guartho

Now ipodandimac, remember when you fell in love with the girl on the Wheaties box? Well it turned out she was real too, but that didn't make her your ladyfriend. </HankHill>

• Reply 11 of 21
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

I usually don't have problems with ads that have chicks in them, even though I've never actually seen anyone dance with an iPod in hand.

If all your GFs are in paper form, you should at least spring for a copy of Hustler or Playboy ya cheap-ass

BTW it is official, that little matter with the Olsen twins has won you a restraining order...from their cardboard cutouts at walmart!

Hate to break it to ya, but that Best Buy cover chick is doing the geeksquad guy...why elese would an underpaid geek in a dorky uniform have a smirk like that...gets her free tech support for her new e-machines

Sorry, couldnt deside on one responce, so ya got all three...
  • Reply 12 of 21
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    On a side note, the Best Buy near me has stopped displaying the Mac Mini...though Apple's website still lists it as a reseller....

• Reply 13 of 21
    kennethkenneth Posts: 832member
    I noticed that yesterday on the Sunday's paper... what a nerd!
  • Reply 14 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

If all your GFs are in paper form, you should at least spring for a copy of Hustler or Playboy ya cheap-ass ...

oh come on admit it who here has not pleasured themselves to some catalog picture somewhere in the line of their sexual development i mean before you were old enough to buy pr0n mags and before there was readily available internet pr0n

shit i've said too much already....
  • Reply 15 of 21
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Raman: Over the line.

And no, it's not a teenage fascination, which is the kind we've seen around here with Danika Cleary (sp?). It's just the fact that I wouldn't have even looked at the ad had the dancing girl not been there.

You guys. . .
  • Reply 16 of 21
    Quote:

Raman: Over the line.

And no, it's not a teenage fascination, which is the kind we've seen around here with Danika Cleary (sp?). It's just the fact that I wouldn't have even looked at the ad had the dancing girl not been there.

You guys. . .

a more subtler version of what i mentioned, has already been covered in a classic simpsons moment when Moe gets hooked up to a lie detector. I'm not nerdy enough to quote word for word but anyway---

"Alright, get this over with already. I got a hot date tonight"

<bzzz>

"A date"

<bzzz>

"Alright alright I'm going to go home and ogle the girls in the Victoria Secret catalog"

<bzzz>

"...oh Okay... Sears catalog"

<DING>

"and will someone unhook this thing? i don't deserve this kind of humiliation"

<bzzz>

WTF was this thread about anyway
  • Reply 17 of 21
    daveleedavelee Posts: 245member
    Quote:

Maybe you should have a look here.

Though it isn't a chick.

[Edit: And on topic, it wasn't that long ago that AMD released an ad that showed quite clearly a guy sitting with a TiBook. Wishful thinking or a portent for the future..? (Would have been much more satisfying if it was an Intel ad)]
  • Reply 18 of 21
    They pull that stuff all the time because the general populous is stupid and doesn't know the difference between a Powerbook and any other PC laptop. They put a Mac version of iTunes on a "PC" monitor because they know the public won't know any better.

...and they probably take great pleasure in coming to rumor sites like these and reading all the "Is AMD trying to tell us something? What could this mean?" speculation some of you folks come up with.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

They pull that stuff all the time because the general populous is stupid and doesn't know the difference between a Powerbook and any other PC laptop. They put a Mac version of iTunes on a "PC" monitor because they know the public won't know any better.

...and they probably take great pleasure in coming to rumor sites like these and reading all the "Is AMD trying to tell us something? What could this mean?" speculation some of you folks come up with.

heh. working as a web and print designer here and there i'm all for designers having a good time to cope with stress and deadlines. and some of those designers are you know, always trying to drop subtle hints to USE A MAC YOU'LL LOVE IT

on some assignments i often fantasised about how to insert pixel-level subliminal messaging....
  • Reply 20 of 21
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

heh. working as a web and print designer here and there i'm all for designers having a good time to cope with stress and deadlines. and some of those designers are you know, always trying to drop subtle hints to USE A MAC YOU'LL LOVE IT

on some assignments i often fantasised about how to insert pixel-level subliminal messaging....

dude, it is just a computer...you need help...