Communication between a Mac and PC

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hello,

In the last couple of days I have been getting the following message when trying to connect from my G4 to my PC: "The alias "XXX" could not be opened, because the original item cannot be found". Then it gives me three options: "Delete Alias", Fix Alias" and "OK". When I press "Fix" I just get the window that says "Choose the item that you want alias "XXX" to open. Whatever I choose, nothing happens.

Any ides what the problem might be? Is it a PC or a Mac problem?

Thanks a lot!

Cheers,

Exp.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    brendonbrendon Posts: 642member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Exp.

Hello,

In the last couple of days I have been getting the following message when trying to connect from my G4 to my PC: "The alias "XXX" could not be opened, because the original item cannot be found". Then it gives me three options: "Delete Alias", Fix Alias" and "OK". When I press "Fix" I just get the window that says "Choose the item that you want alias "XXX" to open. Whatever I choose, nothing happens.

Any ides what the problem might be? Is it a PC or a Mac problem?

Thanks a lot!

Cheers,

Exp.

Tell some more, please. How are they connected? What are you trying to open. On what computer is the folder that you are trying to open, if it is a folder that you are trying to open.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    exp.exp. Posts: 11member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brendon

Tell some more, please. How are they connected? What are you trying to open. On what computer is the folder that you are trying to open, if it is a folder that you are trying to open.

I use a Linksys WRT54G router to connect all three computers. The folder I'm trying to open is on a Desktop PC, and I'm trying to open it from my Mac and my laptop PC. All the folders I'm trying to open are "shared".

Both PCs have XP Pro SP2 installed, and the G4 has the Tiger.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    Quote:

I use a Linksys WRT54G router to connect all three computers. The folder I'm trying to open is on a Desktop PC, and I'm trying to open it from my Mac and my laptop PC. All the folders I'm trying to open are "shared".

Both PCs have XP Pro SP2 installed, and the G4 has the Tiger.

So what does finder say when you tell it connect to server?
  • Reply 4 of 21
    Quote:

So what does finder say when you tell it connect to server?

"The alias "XXX" could not be opened, because the original item cannot be found". Then it gives me three options: "Delete Alias", Fix Alias" and "OK". When I press "Fix" I just get the window that says "Choose the item that you want alias "XXX" to open. Whatever I choose, nothing happens.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    Quote:

"The alias "XXX" could not be opened, because the original item cannot be found". Then it gives me three options: "Delete Alias", Fix Alias" and "OK". When I press "Fix" I just get the window that says "Choose the item that you want alias "XXX" to open. Whatever I choose, nothing happens.

And all system prefs, as in sharing look fine.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    When Aliases are broken, what they were pointing to has changed, so in this case, method in which you were connecting to your PC has changed (perhaps IP address or something has changed). How are you connecting to your PC? The most reliable way (IMO) is to go to finder, go->connect to server, and in the field use: smb://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx, where that is the ip address of the PC.

Aliases have nothing to do with networking...
  • Reply 7 of 21
    Quote:

And all system prefs, as in sharing look fine.

I believe you meant OS?

Desktop PC: XP Pro SP2

Laptop PC: XP Pro SP2

Power Mac G4: 10.4 Tiger

Quote:

Originally posted by chych

When Aliases are broken, what they were pointing to has changed, so in this case, method in which you were connecting to your PC has changed (perhaps IP address or something has changed). How are you connecting to your PC? The most reliable way (IMO) is to go to finder, go->connect to server, and in the field use: smb://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx, where that is the ip address of the PC.

Aliases have nothing to do with networking...

Something has definitely changed, although I have not done any big changes on any of these. I was able to connect just fine until just a few days ago. I usually go to finder, then Network, then I choose the server from the list (when I try to connect this way I get the message that aliases could not be opened). Or I do what you suggested, finder, go->connect to server, and in the field use: smb://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx. (now I get the Error code -36) These two are pretty much the same thing? The only thing that's different is the error message I get. More about error code -36 down below.

Unfortunately, none of these work. I didn't mention that I have a firewall installed on my Desktop PC (zone alarm), to which I have assigned an IP range so it would allow access to both computers. But I also have the same firewall on my laptop PC (to which I can connect just fine), and they are both configured the same way, to allow access to the other two computers.

I've just checked Mac help and found the following:

Mac OS X 10.4: Error -36 alert displays when connecting to a Windows server

Mac OS X 10.4: Error -36 alert displays when connecting to a Samba or Windows server

After upgrading from Mac OS X 10.3.x to Mac OS X 10.4, you may get an error message when you try to connect to a Samba or Windows (SMB/CIFS) server. A Samba or Windows (SMB/CIFS) server includes servers operating on Microsoft Windows and other operating systems that use Samba for SMB/CIFS services.

If the connection is unsuccessful, the following error message may appear:

The Finder cannot complete the operation because some of the data in smb://........ could not be read or written. (Error code -36).

If you check the Console (/Applications/Utilities/), you will also see this error message:

mount_smbfs: session setup phase failed

This error can occur if your Mac OS X 10.4 client is trying to connect to a Samba or Windows (SMB/CIFS) server that only supports plain text passwords. If you do not see the above message in the Console, you are not experiencing this issue and should try normal troubleshooting to isolate the source of the issue.

Unlike Mac OS X 10.3, the Mac OS X 10.4 SMB/CIFS client by default only supports encrypted passwords. Most modern Samba or Windows (SMB/CIFS) servers use encrypted passwords by default, while some Samba servers might have to be reconfigured.

You should consider contacting the owner or system administrator of the Samba or Windows (SMB/CIFS) server to which you are trying to connect and encourage them to disable plain text passwords and start using encrypted ones. If the server cannot be reconfigured to support encrypted passwords, you can configure Mac OS X 10.4 SMB/CIFS client to send plain text passwords.

Warning: If you configure your computer to allow connections to Samba or Windows (SMB/CIFS) servers using plain text passwords, when you attempt to make any connection to such a Samba or Windows (SMB/CIFS) server, your password will be sent "in the clear". This means that it is possible for someone who is monitoring your connection to see your password. This could lead to someone compromising the Samba or Windows (SMB/CIFS) server. We strongly recommend that you configure your Samba or Windows (SMB/CIFS) servers to exclusively use encrypted passwords.

Now this would have answered my question hadn't I been able to connect after I had upgraded from 10.3 to 10.4. I could reconfigure my windows to use plain text password (or so I think), but how big of a security thing than this is? Plus the fact that it worked OK after I upgraded from 10.3 to 10.4. I don't know. I'm tired to think now. Going to bed. Thanks a lot for your help guys, I hope we'll figure it our

Cheers,

Exp.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    What I would try first is making sure that the local IP you are trying to connect to on the Windows machine is in fact the IP that that machine thinks it has. If the router changed the local IP for that machine, that would explain the broken alias also.

What you want is the local IP (192.168.xx.xx or 10.x.x.x) for the Windows machine.

EDIT: Oh I forgot to add, see if you can ping the Windows machine from the Mac. If you can't, no wonder.

Applications/Utilities/Network Utility on the Mac.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    When I said smb://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx, I hope you replaced the xxx's for the ip address of the computer (i.e. 192.168.0.3 or whatever) and not put in "xxx".....

If you have a router, you really don't need zone alarm on your PCs, it's kind of redundant. Try disabling it and see what happens.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

What I would try first is making sure that the local IP you are trying to connect to on the Windows machine is in fact the IP that that machine thinks it has. If the router changed the local IP for that machine, that would explain the broken alias also.

What you want is the local IP (192.168.xx.xx or 10.x.x.x) for the Windows machine.

EDIT: Oh I forgot to add, see if you can ping the Windows machine from the Mac. If you can't, no wonder.

The local IP (192.168.x.xxx) I'm trying to connect to on the Windows machine is identical to what the router is telling me. So these two do match.

I also tried pinging it from the Mac, and it received all packets, with no loss.

Quote:

When I said smb://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx, I hope you replaced the xxx's for the ip address of the computer (i.e. 192.168.0.3 or whatever) and not put in "xxx".....

If you have a router, you really don't need zone alarm on your PCs, it's kind of redundant. Try disabling it and see what happens.

I did replace them

Even disabling ZA didn't do it. Still the same thing.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    Can you see if you can connect to your G4 from the PC using smb? Turn on windows file sharing on the Mac, enable accounts for it, and on the PC connect to the Mac (i.e. go to \\\\macipaddress in an explorer window).
  • Reply 12 of 21
    Quote:

Can you see if you can connect to your G4 from the PC using smb? Turn on windows file sharing on the Mac, enable accounts for it, and on the PC connect to the Mac (i.e. go to \\\\macipaddress in an explorer window).

Tried, didn't work. I can, however, connect by going to "My network places". There I have listed all computers.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    That's kind of strange that you cannot connect directly via the mac's ip address, but it shows up in the network places (which is broadcasted sort of). This would mean that the ip address isn't really what it appears to be.

Usually when these weird networking things happen to me, I resort to manually configuring all ip addresses/subnets/dns and it always works for me. May want to try that? (i.e. router/gateway is 192.168.0.1, desktop pc is 192.168.0.2, mac is 192.168.0.3, laptop is 192.168.0.4, under subnet 255.255.255.0, may need to manually enter the DNS servers)......
  • Reply 14 of 21
    Quote:

that doesn't work. you have to use the NAME of the computer, not the ip. For example, if you type in \\\\127.0.0.1, Windows will look for a computer with name 127.0.0.1; it won't connect to your computer.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by mynamehere

that doesn't work. you have to use the NAME of the computer, not the ip. For example, if you type in \\\\127.0.0.1, Windows will look for a computer with name 127.0.0.1; it won't connect to your computer.

That's most definitely incorrect, using the IP address is almost exclusively how I use SMB, and it always works.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    Quote:

That's most definitely incorrect, using the IP address is almost exclusively how I use SMB, and it always works.

we're talking about accessing the mac from the windows computer. you can't just go into My Computer and type in \\\\127.0.0.1 You have to type the name (in my case \\\\LAPTOP)
  • Reply 17 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by mynamehere

we're talking about accessing the mac from the windows computer. you can't just go into My Computer and type in \\\\127.0.0.1 You have to type the name (in my case \\\\LAPTOP)

Oh you can most definitely connect to other computers via IP. I do it all the time and this is my setup:

-Mac hosts wireless network, has internal ip of 10.0.2.1

-Mac has SMB sharing enabled

-PC laptop is connected to wireless network (ip is 10.0.2.2)

-On PC, in an explorer window, type in \\\\10.0.2.1

-My Mac shared folders is mounted by Windows.....

And I don't know what's wrong with your PC, but \\\\127.0.0.1 works perfectly fine on my Windows laptop, as it connects to itself.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    Quote:

Oh you can most definitely connect to other computers via IP. I do it all the time and this is my setup:

-Mac hosts wireless network, has internal ip of 10.0.2.1

-Mac has SMB sharing enabled

-PC laptop is connected to wireless network (ip is 10.0.2.2)

-On PC, in an explorer window, type in \\\\10.0.2.1

-My Mac shared folders is mounted by Windows.....

And I don't know what's wrong with your PC, but \\\\127.0.0.1 works perfectly fine on my Windows laptop, as it connects to itself.

meh...must be one of those settings...I just tried it and it came up with an error, whereas when I tried \\\\laptop it worked fine...
  • Reply 19 of 21
    Thank you people for your help. Nothing has solved this problem. I have tried everything you told me but with no success. Last night I even had a friend (who knows a lot about this matter) try to figure it out. Didn't help. He says that everything is set the way it is supposed to be. I may have to reinstall the system. That should do it.

Once again, thank you for your help, I appreciate it!

Regards,

Exp.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    Make sure the subnet mask on both the Mac and PC are the same, as they default to different values.