Powerbook won't wake from sleep when connected via mini-dvi

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I bought off Apple's website a mini-dvi to S-Video adaptor. I also bought from a local store an S-Video cable. Plugging it into my TV I can view my screen in either reduced resolution or mirror mode. Plugging in a USB keyboard, however, and pressing a button after closing the lid does not wake my powerbook from sleep. Am I doing something wrong?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    Any ideas?
  • Reply 2 of 12
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Danosaur

I bought off Apple's website a mini-dvi to S-Video adaptor. I also bought from a local store an S-Video cable. Plugging it into my TV I can view my screen in either reduced resolution or mirror mode. Plugging in a USB keyboard, however, and pressing a button after closing the lid does not wake my powerbook from sleep. Am I doing something wrong?

you need a keyboard, mouse and power to use only an external monitor. hope this helps?
  • Reply 3 of 12
    danosaurdanosaur Posts: 258member
    Yeah I didn't realize I needed power too. I'll try again. Thanks.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    were you able to figure it out? i've tried doing the same thing but ive always had to crack the lid open a little so it would wake up.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by CNUco2007

were you able to figure it out? i've tried doing the same thing but ive always had to crack the lid open a little so it would wake up.

Well I've managed it using DVI and S-Video, you need to wake it up using the keyboard and mouse. Step by step guide is:

Plug in mouse, keyboard and power, connect the display, then close the lid (if you live it open the screen could get too hot as the PB thinks it's open). Then wake up using mouse r keyboard, the PB will automatically resize for the monitor.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Am i to assume that will also work for the iBook or is it only the powerbook? i know that may seem like a dumb question, but im just not sure if that is a feature of the PB's and not the iBooks. thx for your help by the way
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by CNUco2007

Am i to assume that will also work for the iBook or is it only the powerbook? i know that may seem like a dumb question, but im just not sure if that is a feature of the PB's and not the iBooks. thx for your help by the way

ibooks cannot run with the lid shut, they cannot support multiple monitors either, only video mirroring. The only advantage of connecting an external monitor to the VGA on the iBook is to get a bigger screen (same resolution though).
  • Reply 8 of 12
    With iBook you can enable these with a hack, but you have to remember that iBook is not designed to be operated with lid closed, so it might overheat.

Hack can be found from here
  • Reply 9 of 12
    ok, thx for the help
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Project2501

With iBook you can enable these with a hack, but you have to remember that iBook is not designed to be operated with lid closed, so it might overheat.

Hack can be found from here

I would not recommend this.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Quote:

I would not recommend this.

Neither did I, I just mentioned that it is possible, I have only briefly tested the clamshell mode(5 min), just to know that it works, and that didn't raise temperatures notably. But the extended desktop is truly handy feature, and works well. They say that iBooks radeon isn't designed to handle that, but I think it's disabled more to advance powerbooks selling than anything else. That, as well as the two finger scrolling with trackpad, Iscroll2 solves that problem quite nicely.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Project2501

Neither did I, I just mentioned that it is possible, I have only briefly tested the clamshell mode(5 min), just to know that it works, and that didn't raise temperatures notably. But the extended desktop is truly handy feature, and works well. They say that iBooks radeon isn't designed to handle that, but I think it's disabled more to advance powerbooks selling than anything else. That, as well as the two finger scrolling with trackpad, Iscroll2 solves that problem quite nicely.

The new iBooks have two-finger scrolling. The reason the extended monitor feature is disabled is to, yes, make a difference between the lines but the reason you can't close the iBook lid is because there's not enough ventilation on the outside, the casing would warp.

When Intel take over making the chips we should see a big enough difference in processor to allow both laptops to have decent graphics cards, assuming Apple keep the PowerBook line - which I hope they do.