Apple optical mouse, 4GB iPod mini on their way out?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Two products of Apple Computer are showing signs this month that they may soon be labeled "end-of-life" with no future availability.

Over the weekend resellers reported that Apple had canceled individual backorders for its single-buttoned wired optical Apple Mouse, which currently ships standard with Macintosh desktop systems and was also available for purchase separately.

The $29 mouse also recently disappeared from Apple's online stores, making the new $49 Mighty Mouse the cheapest Apple mouse available for direct order.

It's believed that Apple will continue to ship the single-button optical mouse as part of forthcoming Mac desktop systems for the foreseeable future, allowing customers to upgrade to a Mighty Mouse for an additional charge.

Availability of Apple's $199 4GB iPod mini has also tightened in recent weeks with some resellers now reporting difficulty restocking the product.

Analysts expect Apple to revamp its iPod mini offerings by the third week in September when chief executive Steve Jobs presents at Apple Expo in Paris.

The consensus among analysts and industry sources is that the 4GB iPod mini will be phased out in favor of new 6GB and 8GB models that will likely sport color screens and photo viewing capabilities.

Both Hitachi and Seagate, two suppliers of hard drives for the iPod mini, have recently announced 8GB versions of their 1-inch micro drives.

Update: Readers seeking an original wired optical Apple mouse can still pick one up from Amazon.com, which retains stock of the device for $31 and change.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    I would imagine that the Wired Opitcal Pro Mouse will continue to ship with Apple desktops for some time, but will not be available for purchase otherwise. This would be similar to Apple providing the basic earbuds with all iPods but only individually selling its more expensive upgrade earbuds to consumers outside of those that come with the iPod. The better earbuds didn't replace those that came with the iPod, and I would expect the better mouse won't replace that which comes with the desktops. I guess we'll see for sure.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    nauticalnautical Posts: 109member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleInsider

Over the weekend resellers reported that Apple had canceled individual backorders for its single-buttoned wired optical Apple Mouse, which currently ships standard with Macintosh desktop systems and was also available for purchase separately.

The $29 mouse also recently disappeared from Apple's online stores, making the new $49 Mighty Mouse the cheapest Apple mouse available for direct order.

Worrying.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    commoduscommodus Posts: 270member
    I think Apple will start packing the Mighty Mouse with higher-end desktops over time, working from the PowerMac downwards. Those are the buyers most likely to demand a multi-button mouse in the box.

Regarding the iPod mini, I wonder why there's no mention of GB iPod mini stock. Is it just that it was already low due to lesser demand, or is the lineup shift going to be split such that there's a 6 GB B&W model versus an 8 GB colour model? That wouldn't make sense to me (it would add to manufacturing costs), but I again wonder why only the 4 GB model is showing supply constraints.

If there's a $199 6 GB colour mini, though, expect Apple to have another record-setting holiday season. There are many people for whom it really would be the perfect music player.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    I think a 10gb mini would be the realy sweet spot for Apple, with color screen and ability play back music videos and the like. I have a 30GB photo and with 2100 songs, a dozen podcast subscriptions, and a few hundred photos i'm still barely over the 10gb mark. Granted, about a year ago I could have fit my entire music collection on the original 4gb iPod mini.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    I've used the Mighty Mouse since I got it last Friday and have a feeling that it is where Apple is going for all Mac lines over time. It's simply an elegant option to the current mouse and is easier on the wrists than the 21 button specials.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Hope they update more than just the iPod mini. I need a bigger iPod, and don't want to be waiting for another 6 months for an 80GB model, or the vipod or whatever everyone says.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Commodus

If there's a $199 6 GB colour mini, though, expect Apple to have another record-setting holiday season. There are many people for whom it really would be the perfect music player.

I sure wouldn't mind. I've been interested in buying a Mini and even 4GB is enough for me, but a color screen for the album art would be nice.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    What about the 5gb iPod mini rumors? hmm.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    reidreid Posts: 190member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kenaustus

I've used the Mighty Mouse since I got it last Friday and have a feeling that it is where Apple is going for all Mac lines over time. It's simply an elegant option to the current mouse and is easier on the wrists than the 21 button specials.

Maybe, but I sort of think they'll stick with a cheaper one-button mouse as standard for the forseeable future. Interestingly, when you buy a Mac Mini at the online Apple Store, you can choose an Apple Keyboard & Mighty Mouse combo. There's no such option with any of the other models yet; iMac, eMac, or even PowerMac. That will have to change soon. Probably as soon as they get production ramped up enough for every BTO order to upgrade to one (because who wouldn't?).

Quote:

Originally posted by AquaMac

What about the 5gb iPod mini rumors? hmm.

Weren't those forever ago... like before the 6GB mini came out?
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Commodus

I think Apple will start packing the Mighty Mouse with higher-end desktops over time, working from the PowerMac downwards. Those are the buyers most likely to demand a multi-button mouse in the box.

ummm... Im not sure about that... In the Apple Store, they only had the mighty mouse on the Mac Minis.... Not the PowerMacs and iMacs. I think Apple created this mouse for Windows "switchers" rather than pros... More likely to see them (If they ever include keyboard and mouse sets. ) included in with the Mac Mini.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by kenaustus

Are you implying that the Apple Mouse design with its pill shape is more comfortable and ergonomical than say, a Logitech for instance? Because I would say you're dead wrong there.

Back to the subject at hand, I would definitely buy a 8GB mini if they released one. With a colour screen and their famous 26 hour battery life...would be pretty tough to pass up.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Because the Mini is the switcher machine.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    vl-tonevl-tone Posts: 337member
    I find the pill shape much more comfortable and less stressful on my wrists than a Logitech or MS mouse. I don't see how I could be dead wrong here, I know what I like and what is comfortable to me. Mice shapes are often a matter of personal preferences.

I don't like mice that fits into the palm of my hand with supposedly ergonomic curves. I just need to hold and move the mouse from the sides and have a surface to click and rest my fingers on. And with the MM, you can do the main click with 3 fingers at the same time, just like the "pro" optical mouse causing much less stress on the wrist. Having a "bump" to rest the my hand on is more of an annoyance than anything, because I use my fingers to move the mouse, not the palm of my hand.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    This is another one of those things in which no one is either right or "dead wrong".

Comfort is a matter of individual preference. I've noticed on a number of forums about this mouse that people with small hands find it to be too big, people with large hands find it to be too small, people with small hands find it to be too small, and people with large hands find it to be too big.

That's why there are so many designs out there.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    nuttynutty Posts: 50member
    Quote:

Originally posted by w_parietti22

ummm... Im not sure about that... In the Apple Store, they only had the mighty mouse on the Mac Minis.... Not the PowerMacs and iMacs. I think Apple created this mouse for Windows "switchers" rather than pros... More likely to see them (If they ever include keyboard and mouse sets. ) included in with the Mac Mini.

The Mouse was probly put on the mini because it is the only computer that doesn't come with a mouse. You put it on a powermac and you get a false hope it comes with.