IBM ready to deliver dual-core PowerPC G5 processors?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
IBM is prepared to accept customer orders for its new dual-core PowerPC 970MP (G5) microprocessors, which it will be capable of delivering in quantity very soon, says one Wall Street analyst.

The company officially unveiled the processors last month at its Power Everywhere Forum in Japan. At the time IBM representatives commented that Apple had been working with prototypes of the processors since 2004 and could use them in a forthcoming update to its Power Mac G5 desktops.

The 64-bit chips, code-named Antares, contain two processing units per chip, each with their own execution core and Level 1 cache. Additionally, each core includes a storage subsystem with 1MB Level 2 cache, making the chips twice as efficient as IBM's current 970FX PowerPC G5 processors.

"While declining to be specific regarding customers, IBM has confirmed that it has sampled these new chip versions and is [now] prepared to accept customer orders," Caris & Company analyst Mark Stahlman said in a research note released earlier this week. The analyst speculates the processors could make their Apple debut in a revision to the PowerMac G5 line at September's Apple Expo in Paris.

Prior to Apple's announced switch to Intel processors, extremely reliable sources said the Mac maker was preparing to release PowerMac G5 models based on the processors later this year. A company roadmap seen by AppleInsider had showed the high-end model to include two of the PowerPC 970MP processors, for a total of four cores. However, it's unclear if Apple's plans have changed in light of the Intel announcement.

Potentially adding a dab of support to the rumor is the emergence of two new PowerMac-based Apple logic-boards in freshly dated Apple material -- the PowerMac12,1 and PowerMac11,1. Whether the boards pertain to a forthcoming PowerMac G5 revision or some other product are still unknown.

According to a purported version of Apple's current Intel roadmap, the PowerMac will be that last of the company's Macintosh offerings to move to Intel processors, sources have told AppleInsider. This suggests that at least one more PowerPC-based PowerMac revision could be warranted.

IBM says the PowerPC 970MP will be made available in speeds ranging from 1.4 to 2.5GHz.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 96
    Come on Apple, better late than never. Give us some macho PowerMac G5's with dual dual-core G5's... my mouth is watering just thinking about it.
  • Reply 2 of 96
    kmok1kmok1 Posts: 63member
    The last PowerMac revision was April 2005, or four months ago. I really don't think it will come this soon. In January 2006 perhaps.

If this CPU is pin-compatible with its current chip, then this is a no-brainer. But the PowerMac will not migrate to Intel until 2007. Therefore I feel that we will see this chip in action.

It will be something else in Paris this year...
  • Reply 3 of 96
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    The analyst also mentioned a Mac mini with a low-power G5 processor.
  • Reply 4 of 96
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleInsider

Potentially adding a dab of support to the rumor is the emergence of two new PowerMac-based Apple logic-boards in freshly dated Apple material -- the PowerMac12,1 and PowerMac11,1. Whether the boards pertain to a forthcoming PowerMac G5 revision or some other product are still unknown.

PowerMac12,1 is an iMac, obviously.
  • Reply 5 of 96
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gyroscope

PowerMac12,1 is an iMac, obviously.

I was thinking the same thing.
  • Reply 6 of 96
    mjteixmjteix Posts: 563member
    Quote:

IBM is prepared to begin accepting customer orders for its new dual-core PowerPC 970MP (G5) microprocessors, which it will be capable of delivering in quantity very soon

prepared... begin... capable... very soon...

that says it all and nothing.

Anyway, the sooner, the better.

If PowerBooks, PowerMacs, iPods are to be updated at Apple Expo Paris, no wonder why Steve's gonna be there!

If there are 2 new codes, I believe it means dualcore models and at least one dual-dualcore model?

What about my favorite prediction:

low: dualcore 2.5GHz

mid: dual-dualcore 2.0GHz

high: dual-dualcore 2.5GHz
  • Reply 7 of 96
    kmok1kmok1 Posts: 63member
    I hope IBM didn't whipped this CPU up like what Intel did with the Pentium D. Intel did that to save face; I hope IBM is not repeating. See article in Macworld: http://www.macworld.com/news/2005/08...core/index.php
  • Reply 8 of 96
    Just because Steve is going to be there doesn't mean something super-great is going to be shown off. Remember Apple expo Paris 2003? What did we get?

15" Aluminum PowerBook (and upgraded 12 and 17" models)

Wireless Keyboard and Mouse

OS 9 says goodbye to native booting announcement.

It was a decent Keynote, but nothing earth shattering.

Now that I'm done playing Devil's Advocate, I say Dual Dual Power Macs at Apple expo Paris! Maybe we'll be lucky and even have models faster than 2.5 GHz. Remember, when IBM initally announced the G5, it only went up to 1.8 GHz - we got 2. Also, I hope that the specs are along the lines of this: http://www.macosrumors.com/20050815A.php (yeah, I know the source) with the exception of SLI being included.
  • Reply 9 of 96
    Quote:

Originally posted by kmok1

I hope IBM didn't whipped this CPU up like what Intel did with the Pentium D. Intel did that to save face; I hope IBM is not repeating. See article in Macworld: http://www.macworld.com/news/2005/08...core/index.php

I don't think so. IIRC, IBM has been working on the 970MP for quite some time. Not to mention their prior experience with mulitcore chips like the Power 5 (pictured).

Here's Think Secret's first report on the 970MP (from July 2004): http://www.thinksecret.com/news/antares.html
  • Reply 10 of 96
    Quote:

Originally posted by mjteix

prepared... begin... capable... very soon...

that says it all and nothing.

Anyway, the sooner, the better.

If PowerBooks, PowerMacs, iPods are to be updated at Apple Expo Paris, no wonder why Steve's gonna be there!

If there are 2 new codes, I believe it means dualcore models and at least one dual-dualcore model?

What about my favorite prediction:

low: dualcore 2.5GHz

mid: dual-dualcore 2.0GHz

How bout this:

low: dualcore 2.3GHz

mid: dual-dualcore 2.3GHz

• Reply 11 of 96
    Quote:

Originally posted by w_parietti22

How bout this:

low: dualcore 2.3GHz

mid: dual-dualcore 2.3GHz

Sounds good to me . I can't wait to see how it compares to dual core Intel and AMD chips.
  • Reply 12 of 96
    Quote:

Originally posted by macnut222

Sounds good to me . I can't wait to see how it compares to dual core Intel and AMD chips.

I wish I could compare it from to 3.6ghz Intel... can someone ship me one please!!!
  • Reply 13 of 96
    Quote:

Originally posted by w_parietti22

I wish I could compare it from to 3.6ghz Intel... can someone ship me one please!!!

You could always get Apple's developer kit.
  • Reply 14 of 96
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I hope they intro a dual dual Express model in Sept so I can buy the updated version in February after it's shown in January.

I never buy a brand new technology flush out of the gate, unless it's something inexpensive that I don't care much about if it craps out.
  • Reply 15 of 96
    Quote:

Originally posted by baranovich

Come on Apple, better late than never. Give us some macho PowerMac G5's with dual dual-core G5's... my mouth is watering just thinking about it.

Are they going to need to put a sticker on dual dual-core G5's warning you NOT to eat it?
  • Reply 16 of 96
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

The last PowerMac revision was April 2005, or four months ago. I really don't think it will come this soon. In January 2006 perhaps.

If this CPU is pin-compatible with its current chip, then this is a no-brainer. But the PowerMac will not migrate to Intel until 2007. Therefore I feel that we will see this chip in action.

Being that intel is far ahead of schedule, and is releasing Dual core XEONS and other non Pentium processors already in 2005 instead of 2006 I think that could get Apple to reevaluate their timeframe not only for PowerMacs on intel processors, but all Macs as well.

Plus - Apple never said the PowerMac wouldn't be shipping until 2007. They said All Mac's would be shipping with intel processors in 2007. That 2007 bit never mentioned the PowerMacs specifically.
  • Reply 17 of 96
    I imagine that, if given a "fair" benchmark, it should mop the floor with the stuff from Intel and AMD. . . That is, code that's optimized for it. Using "even" compilers for benchmarks is stupid, since IBM doesn't build-in special features for nothing.
  • Reply 18 of 96
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:

WTF is wrong with you people...?!?

Pin-compatibility has nothing to do with Apple using this CPU...

Repeat after me noobs, Apple uses daughtercards for their CPUs...

;^p
  • Reply 19 of 96
    Weres the article, or anything about the macmini getting a G5 in it?
  • Reply 20 of 96
    I hope they just get on with it.

The 'next gen' G5 rumours have been floating around like a Cow in labour.

Dual Dual Core 2.5? Sounds good. But remains to be seen if Software can take advantage.

Secondly, if the rest of the line up is merely 'dual core' then surely 2.3 low end, 2.5 mid end provide nominal bumps. Not spectacular. Not a huge leap from where we are now. We already have 'dual core' in a way and have had for some time.

The one hope (or two) is that these MP cpus are more efficient ie IBM says they are twice as efficient...have more cache etc...so...the dual core 2.5 may perform better than a dual 2.7?

Photoshop benches, at the ready...!

Lemon Bon Bon

(I feel with SLI graphic cards and dual core cpus...that the software to take advantage of it is behind the curve. Same with PCI Express...and that level of 'mainstream' optimisation for technologies that aren't mainstream yet could take another couple of years...)