Notes: Mac OS X 10.4.3, lead times, iTunes, China

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Mac OS X 10.4.3

After providing Mac OS X developers with an initial pre-release software build of Mac OS X 10.4.3 last month, Apple has so far decided not to distribute newer builds to its Developer Connection members.

The last we heard, the company was working on build 8F16 of the Mac OS X Tiger update; Mac OS X 10.4.3 build 8F8 was the previously distributed build, making its debut in late July.

Apple is expected to release the software next month, along with its server counterpart, Mac OS X Server 10.4.3. Developers say the server update will deliver fixes and enhancements to operating system's mail, QuickTime, print and software update servers.

Other changes will reportedly target MySQL, the workgroup manager, Xgrid, NetBoot, Server Admin and Portable Home Directory.

PiperJaffray on lead times

This morning PiperJaffray analyst Gene Munster released his latest research note on Apple. In the note the analyst voiced his belief that extended lead times for the Power Mac G5 2.7 Dual and the Power Book G4 15" Combo at the company's online store means "Apple is winding down production of Macs with the G5 2.7, which has resulted in tighter supply of its Power Mac and PowerBooks at the Paris Expo in September."

iTunes on Nokia phones

Finnish mobile phone giant Nokia said on Thursday it had no agreement with Apple for the iTunes music service to be included on its upcoming N91 multimedia phone.

Finnish daily Taloussanomat had earlier reported that Nokia would bring iTunes to the N91 model.

"There is no commercial agreement between Nokia and Apple to integrate iTunes into the N-series devices," Kari Tuutti, spokesman for Nokia's multimedia division, told Reuters. "But since this is based on a computer platform, anybody -- including Apple if they so wish -- can very easily develop this kind of application and offer it to consumers, via the Internet for example."

Tuutti went on to say, "We are not making any exclusive arrangements with any music store, but believe that we want to give the consumer the choice of where they want to purchase their music."

Nokia is current the world's No. 1 maker of cell phone handsets.

Apple China reorganizing management

According to China's Interfax, Apple is "currently adjusting its senior management team" in the region. The company is said to have fired several senior managers in an effort to reinvigorate Apple China management.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    tinktink Posts: 395member
    Apple in China?
  • Reply 2 of 16
    Im tired of 10.4.3... lets hear the real news!!! Whats coming in Paris????
  • Reply 3 of 16
    m01etym01ety Posts: 278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by w_parietti22

Im tired of 10.4.3... lets hear the real news!!! Whats coming in Paris????

Whatever 10.4.3 secretly adds support for.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by m01ety

Whatever 10.4.3 secretly adds support for.

lol... yeah... like a tablet
  • Reply 5 of 16
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    Well if PJ is correct and that supplies of 2.7ghz G5's are tight that would seem to corroborate the stories that Apple might release Dual core machines at Paris. The fact that Apple is withholding new builds of Tiger would also lead one to speculate that this could all be true.

I wonder how a 4-processor G5 is going to compare with the x86 machines, each new iteration of the G5 is going to move the x86 further away, because Apple will not want to change processors if they are going to produce lower benchmarks than the machines they are replaying. It will be relatively easy to improve the performance of the low end machines eMacs, iMacs, IBooks and even Powerbooks, but the G5 Powermac could prove problematic.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Addison

Well if PJ is correct and that supplies of 2.7ghz G5's are tight that would seem to corroborate the stories that Apple might release Dual core machines at Paris. The fact that Apple is withholding new builds of Tiger would also lead one to speculate that this could all be true.

\\

Right, because we know 2.7's can't be tight because of component delays, or that IBM has trouble making 4 chips at one time.

But keep in mind Apple won't be 'releasing' dual-cores in paris. They might announce them, but if history is any guide, that means they'll be announced for release sometime by the end of October, which really means November (although a dozen will ship so Apple can say "they're shipping!") and no one really will see any until December. Of course, this assumes that once you get it, you'll be able to even lift it out of the box (how heavy do these freakin' towers have to be, anyway?).

And we know one thing for sure about the delay in 10.4.3. It certainly can't be due to Apple's extensive testing!

But seriously folks, I wouldn't read much into Apple holding onto 10.4.3. Apple doesn't really care about having a version of the OS for a new machine different then the current build (take 10.2.7...please!).
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Tiger is still a mess and 10.4.3 is another attempt to fix the problems that 10.4.1 and 10.4.2 didn't fix. Tiger is a step down from Panther. They should have taken another 6 months to getting it working better before dumping it on clueless users.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    sjksjk Posts: 603member
    Thanks for that enlightening exaggeration, OriginalMacRat.

Even with Tiger's problems I know plenty of "cluessless users" having no trouble with it.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    There's always an sjk in the crowd. Just because some people don't run into the issue, it isn't there or it's exagerrated. I wasn't throwing out meaningless bashing. I support dozens of friends as well as thousands of co-workers and the migration to Tiger is unexpectedly horrid. In contrast, migration to Pather was a dream and in most cases FIXED issues users had with Jaguar. Tiger on the other hand tends to BREAK things that worked fine in Panther.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

Originally posted by OriginalMacRat

There's always an sjk in the crowd. Just because some people don't run into the issue, it isn't there or it's exagerrated. I wasn't throwing out meaningless bashing. I support dozens of friends as well as thousands of co-workers and the migration to Tiger is unexpectedly horrid. In contrast, migration to Pather was a dream and in most cases FIXED issues users had with Jaguar. Tiger on the other hand tends to BREAK things that worked fine in Panther.

Stop being dense. Tiger is the first breaking point for Cocoa developers to move into the forefront.

With the added Core APIs it's a boon.

Each update to Tiger will be less Carbon and more Cocoa replacements of current Apps plus updates to Pro-Apps and Consumer Apps all targeted for Cocoa only.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Quote:

If you love panther so much why dont you marry it! lol
  • Reply 12 of 16
    chrisgchrisg Posts: 239member
    Quote:

True to that MacRat! We are basically doing a forced migration to Tiger since the new machines (ones that shipped with Tiger) don't run properly under our Panther image. There is currently this horrible boot problem when utilizing Open Directory and Active Directory that causes computers to take up to 10 minutes to boot or even stall at boot completely.

Don't get me wrong some of the new features of Tiger Server, ACLs, the new way you can push any plist to a managed client are great but when there are basic problems with LDAP and networking you really start to wonder about Apples testing.

I have to add my personal machine has had no problems along with the friends computers I manage who are Mac based.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    sjksjk Posts: 603member
    Quote:

There's always an sjk in the crowd.

Thanks. Glad I'm me rather than someone with Rat in their name who (based on a quick glance at previous postings) seems bitter about some things.

Quote:

Just because some people don't run into the issue, it isn't there or it's exagerrated.

I acknowledged Tiger's problems but maybe you missed that.

Quote:

I wasn't throwing out meaningless bashing.

Throwing out a shallow "it's a mess" comment without backing it up usually comes across as meaningless emotional exaggeration to me. What sort of response would you hope for? Agreement? Sympathy?

Quote:

I support dozens of friends as well as thousands of co-workers and the migration to Tiger is unexpectedly horrid. In contrast, migration to Pather was a dream and in most cases FIXED issues users had with Jaguar. Tiger on the other hand tends to BREAK things that worked fine in Panther.

Now that's more meaningful [edit: like ChrisG's examples] . And that's been your experience (sorry it's been such a bummer), which simply happens to differ from what I stated (with context). Hopefully 10.4.3 brings some improvements you're looking for. I've nothing else to say about this.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    trobertstroberts Posts: 702member
    The only problem I have had with Tiger is battery life, which went from 5 hours to less than 2 hours. With Panther I had no problem being away from an outlet, but with Tiger I have to think about what I will be doing and if I really need my iBook with me. Hopefully, Apple adds an option to turn Spotlight indexing off when the laptops are using the battery, or maybe index files names only when they are created/changed.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    I havew updated three machines in my ofice with Tiger. All are now having stability problems with MS Office. I havn't tried to re-install office yet to see if it cures the problems, needless to say I have stoped rolling out Tiger onto other machines.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mdriftmeyer

Stop being dense. Tiger is the first breaking point for Cocoa developers to move into the forefront.

With the added Core APIs it's a boon.

Each update to Tiger will be less Carbon and more Cocoa replacements of current Apps plus updates to Pro-Apps and Consumer Apps all targeted for Cocoa only.

Who in the world cares what Tiger is a breaking point for. As consumers, we don't care. Carbon, Cocoa, its all the same. As long as it works. Its just a framework, nothing else (no matter what you all seem to think - when was the last time you looked at an app and said "Oh, this is a cocoa app").

Should those having problems be told to just say "Oh, look, another issue. Oh well, at least the Core APIs and the Cocoa updates make this update worthwhile. Now back to wiping this computer and trying it again from scratch! But its worth it."