winxp 64bit edition experience

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
my dlink wireless card has no 64bit driver support, the 32-bit doesn't work

umm... just a warning to people itching to get on the windows 64bit bandwagon

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    joeyjoey Posts: 236member
    Well... it's still Windows... just 64bit. It really doesn't offer much to the average user at this point. That is the one thing that really sucks about it... you must use 64 bit drivers. If MS or the hardware manufacturers don't put out a driver, you're screwed. I've played around with it a bit... they do have a fairly comprehensive driver database... and fortunately, companies like ATI and nVidia both have x64 drivers out. I don't understand the nature of what is involved with migrating 32 bit Windows to 64 bit. I'd imagine there is a reason that you must use 64 bit specific drivers. So far as applications go... 32 bit apps run fine. I guess it's possible that 32 bit drivers may work, but Windows x64 won't allow you to use a non-64 bit driver.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Joey

Well... it's still Windows... just 64bit. It really doesn't offer much to the average user at this point. That is the one thing that really sucks about it... you must use 64 bit drivers. If MS or the hardware manufacturers don't put out a driver, you're screwed. I've played around with it a bit... they do have a fairly comprehensive driver database... and fortunately, companies like ATI and nVidia both have x64 drivers out. I don't understand the nature of what is involved with migrating 32 bit Windows to 64 bit. I'd imagine there is a reason that you must use 64 bit specific drivers. So far as applications go... 32 bit apps run fine. I guess it's possible that 32 bit drivers may work, but Windows x64 won't allow you to use a non-64 bit driver.

you should see the storm the halflife2 fans are kicking up over steam32bit and halflife2 having compatibility issues with windows x64 though technically there should be no problems with win x64 running all that stuff in 32bit emulation

and yeah i've seen posts from dlink tech reps saying, well, your dwl g520+ is EOL (i only fucking bought it 6 months ago) so fuck you no 64bit driver for you

please. what rubbish. and people still have all this faith in Vista? its taken quite a while for xp to get to where it is, and it is a distinct improvement over win2k, so i'll stick to winxp32bit for now.

edit: i have to point out here that i have been very very impressed with nVidia both their 6600GT video card and their nForce4 for AMD chipset. great driver availability, great compatibility, rock solid stability, some nice overclockability on the 6600GT (credit should go to the board manufacturer MSI as well) . yeah nVidia has win x64 drivers for both graphics and nForce chipset but without the dlink driver there's no broadband. so i'm back on xp32bit now.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by Joey

Well... it's still Windows... just 64bit.

And it sucks twice as much.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ThinkingDifferent

And it sucks twice as much.

heh
  • Reply 5 of 6
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    Either Windows or OS X, I still cannot figure why the average desktop computer needs to be 64-bit.

There has been endless bitching (not from you but on the forums) about the lack of drivers for Windows XP 64-bit for no good reason. Use the 32-bit version.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

edit: i have to point out here that i have been very very impressed with nVidia both their 6600GT video card and their nForce4 for AMD chipset. great driver availability, great compatibility, rock solid stability, some nice overclockability on the 6600GT (credit should go to the board manufacturer MSI as well) . yeah nVidia has win x64 drivers for both graphics and nForce chipset but without the dlink driver there's no broadband. so i'm back on xp32bit now.

No offence m8, But perhaps you can tell me, that why in almost every one of your posts you have to bang on about owning a 6600GT and AMD 64?

Just add it to your sig or you'll get another poem

P.S. I too, Have that card and it is very good but it's just a GFX card man.