single-pass 8fps h.264 encoding to 2mbit/sec.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
gotta love it. nero recode2 on windows. generates .mp4 (quicktime-on-mac compatible) files. i hope to have some quick samples up in the next 24 hours, gotta go check out a "doing graduate skool in australia" seminar now...

you may laugh at 8 frames per sec, but i'll talk more on it, and this is not meant to be a quicktime7-on-mac vs nero-on-windows h.264 shootout, but more to highlight and share for those with windows boxes how to offload decent h.264 encoding to the windows box(s) and also enjoy h.264 2mbit/sec near-dvd-quality stuff on one's mac....

speak later, gotta run...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    unfortunately, due to bandwidth limitations i can't post any videos.

however, just wanted to mention that Nero Recode 2

http://www.nerodigital.com/eng/index.html

seems to offer a nice package of ease-of-use and fairly respectable h.264/avc 1-pass encoding on a windows box

some points:

--brightness/contrast tweaks would be a nice 'cheat' for aesthetic purposes

--at the speed of 1-pass encoding xvid/3ivx may offer a better alternative to nero h.264/avc

--for h.264 two pass encodings i think a quality/time taken shootout between quicktime7-on-powermac g5s and nero-h.265-avc-on-intel/amd configs would be a killer benchmark to run.

anyone got a spare amd athlon 3400 or above and intel pentium 4 and dualie powermac g5 lying around to run some benchs? heh maybe another time, another forum.

it is interesting to note that quicktime7 h.264 is either 1pass or multipass, whereas nero-h.264/avc is either single pass or twopass. quicktime7 is quite slow on the multipass encoding part but that's where it really weaves its bitrate magic.