kinda major help request re: iDisk file

rokrok
Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
well, wuldn't you know it... i was uploading a pdf to my idisk, and the connection dropped out before it was finished. so the file reads as "zero kb" and won't let me delete it as it sees it "in use." it also has made EVERY FILE in my idisk read as zero kb in size (which, of course, they're not). and now it won't let me copy anything new to the idisk. i can move things between directories, replace items with the same name, and even delete files, but i can't ADD anything to the idisk.

any ideas? or am i calling up .mac support tomorrow a.m.?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    The .pdf should be on your local copy of your iDisk, so you might try going to System Preferences>.Mac>iDisk and turning syncing off and then back on again. A previous local iDisk disk image will appear on your desktop and everything will resynchronize. After everything has synchronized again you can trash this disk image.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by thepianoguy

The .pdf should be on your local copy of your iDisk, so you might try going to System Preferences>.Mac>iDisk and turning syncing off and then back on again. A previous local iDisk disk image will appear on your desktop and everything will resynchronize. After everything has synchronized again you can trash this disk image.

ah, if only it were that simple. i'm running panther at home (10.3.9), and have no local copy of my idisk with which to sync. (mind you, i think half the problem with my idisk connections come from panther... when i was running tiger, the connection blazed... but 10.4.2 broke my airport connection. i was hoping 10.4.3 would put back whatever was working before with 10.4.1).
  • Reply 3 of 6
    I am not running Panther anymore, but even under Panther I always had a local copy, (I thought Panther introduced background syncing). There is not a folder /Users/yourname/Library/Mirrors/ with a .dmg file of your iDisk and all related .db and .plist files? Or is this new to the way things are handled in Tiger?
  • Reply 4 of 6
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    News flash - I was having "disk full" problems on my iDisk, and Apple just confirmed that it is their problem:

Quote:

Thank you for contacting Apple.

We have identified and resolved an issue with .Mac that affected a small number of our customers. Your iDisk should now be reporting usage correctly.

Thank you for your patience as we worked to resolve this issue.

Sincerely,

Shelia

The .Mac Support Team

Access a wealth of technical support information by visiting the .Mac Support website at http://www.apple.com/support/dotmac

I would suggest sending a message to the dot-mac team through their website support form. Since dot-mac is a paid service, they respond very quickly. That URL above, click it, then click iDisk, then scroll to the bottom and fill out the form.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

News flash - I was having "disk full" problems on my iDisk, and Apple just confirmed that it is their problem:

I would suggest sending a message to the dot-mac team through their website support form. Since dot-mac is a paid service, they respond very quickly. That URL above, click it, then click iDisk, then scroll to the bottom and fill out the form.

son of a gun. you know what? it's fixed now. my idisk is now correctly reporting 24 MB of free space available. i guess i didn't break it after all (though it sure looked like it). i guess whatever they did for yours, they did it across the board. whew!
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by thepianoguy

I am not running Panther anymore, but even under Panther I always had a local copy, (I thought Panther introduced background syncing). There is not a folder /Users/yourname/Library/Mirrors/ with a .dmg file of your iDisk and all related .db and .plist files? Or is this new to the way things are handled in Tiger?

by the way, you are right, it was introduced in panther (it was a feature i had forgotten about, because honestly, i just pop open idisk like any other remote server on my desktop and work with files like that, so i never kicked on the syncing feature).

well, anyway, crisis averted.