iTunes Mobile detailed in Motorola user manual

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
A verified authentic draft of a user manual for Motorola's forthcoming E790 GSM mobile handset contains several pages dedicated to an embedded version of Apple's iTunes jukebox software, AppleInsider has discovered.

The E790, dubbed the "Motorola ROKR Model E1" by some Russian language Motorola documents, appears to be one of the company's first music phones. However, it's based on the E398 handset, which doesn't exactly fit the rumored ROKR phone profile.

Motorola's ROKR line of iTunes music phones are expected to span several models and designs, a few of which could debut simultaneously. Earlier this year Motorola documents revealed another unannounced iTunes ROKR phone, adorned in black and sporting the company's PEBL design profile.

In a 5-page portion of the E790 manual, Motorola describes the basic functions of the iTunes mobile software, which can be controlled largely by the handset's navigational key.

"iTunes is a software application you use to manage the music on your computer and transfer music to your phone," reads the Motorola documentation. "You can use iTunes to purchase and download music for your phone, listen to CDs and digital music, and create playlists of your favorite songs on your phone."

According to the documentation, users of the E790 will be able to launch iTunes via a physical 'iTunes' key and then use the navigation key to operate the software. From the iTunes menu interface, pressing the navigational key up or down will scroll through playlists, while pressing the key right or left will make a selection or return to the previous menu, respectively.

Once a user has selected a song, iTunes mobile switches to a display screen that will allow users to pause, rewind, and fast forward tracks by pressing the navigational key up, right and left. Meanwhile, the iTunes key will return the user to the menu interface and provide access to a 'shuffle songs' function.

All song purchases and playlist creation will take place via iTunes software for Mac and PC. Users will then be able to transfer their purchased songs or complete playlists to the iTunes phone, the document states.

Motorola, through a series of brief comments to the press, has committed to launching its line of ROKR iTunes phones during a music event to take place before the end of September.

Several photos of a pre-proudction Motorola's E790 follow:

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    While this still seems to be a good strategic move for Apple, it also seems like a very minor thing for us users. Really no different from when it was announced decades(?) ago. But that's OK.

My lack of excitement may be the reason I first read the headline as:

"iTunes mobile derailed"
  • Reply 2 of 14
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    the interface is a bit underwhelming. i guess we all romanticized some sort of mac os x on a cell phone (but can it play doom?).
  • Reply 3 of 14
    What an ugly little bugger! Motorolas look and feel of their devices is about as Un-Apple as it can get, anyway! Tried to switch from my SonyEricsson with a cool slick interface (closest to what we love on our Mac, IMHO) to a Moto phone a few months ago. Had to switch back to SonyEricsson again because I coudn't stand the messed-up Moto list-type interface with the ugliest icons ever created on this planet.

Can't believe that Apple did infact choose such an ugly interface for its first step in the cell phone market! Let me make this one clear here: Cell phones are parts of fashion -- not of pure technology anymore! You cannot sell a phone just by telling pleople how many features it has -- you have to sell them a phone they actually want to carry around with them all day.

Remains to be seen how far that iPod halo can actually glow!
  • Reply 4 of 14
    It did say draft behind it, so the UI might not be the real deal. I think an iTunes phone is a wrong direction for apple. Theres no opportunities exept for software, which relies on hardware. It will also tarnish the iPods value if the same ipod "goodness". can be bought on a cheaper phone (unless its high end).
  • Reply 5 of 14
    what an ugly phone and itunes. just as well my excitement for this phone left the building months ago.

i don't actually care for this 'itunes-phone' anymore;

next!
  • Reply 6 of 14
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Indeed, what a butt ugly phone. Motorola only makes one cool looking phone and it now comes in Black.

Care to guess which one? Hint: I've got six o'clock shadow.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Well what did we expect? For a full blown iTunes capable phone that would simply kill iPod sales? I'm sure Apple has implemented limitations paving the way for their own branded phone.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    what rubbish. hope steve & co sit back and chill and not waste any more resources on this crap. what a fucking deadweight moto is to apple. good on apple, collect royalties, don't waste anymore time or money on this sort of rubbish "collaboration"

i might as well get a W800i sony ericsson, fuck moto...

they've taken so long to get to this stage? and it's still not out? and this is what we've been waiting so long for? PFFFFTTT
  • Reply 9 of 14
    chris vchris v Posts: 460member
    So we'll have iTunes on a MOT phone before we have one that works with Bluetooth, I'll bet.

Hmmf.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    It is a draft document. Did it occur to you that the pictures of the phone, as well as the interface, as fillers until the actual phone is finished?
  • Reply 11 of 14
    sjksjk Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Louzer

Did it occur to you that the pictures of the phone, as well as the interface, as fillers until the actual phone is finished?

Yes, it did.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    Do not prepare to be impressed by this device.

Either in what it does or how it does it.

What it does is "Lets you have a phone as one of your authorised computers for iTMS songs."

How it does it "Not as good as the iPod".
  • Reply 14 of 14
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Louzer

It is a draft document. Did it occur to you that the pictures of the phone, as well as the interface, as fillers until the actual phone is finished?

all moto phones have had the same crappy interface for like 3 years at least IIRC. filler or not, that's it, i'm filing this iTunes foofarah in the wastepaper basket (ie. "the trash bin")