A weird Photoshop issue

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hi all.

I'm having this weird Photoshop issue that I cannot seem to solve (although I have the feeling it's very simple). Whenever I try to create borders for a picture, I'm successful, but the borders do not look solid but instead have this shadow around them.

To illustrate what I mean, this is a picture I took last year in Turkey. Now, I want to add a black border 24 pixels wide. I use the normal Photoshop way of doing this: Select > Select All > Modify > Border > 24 Pixels > Color Palette - chose Black > Edit > Fill > 100% Opacity.

And the result is this:

whereas what I want is something like this:

wherein lies my stupidity?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    i've never found that to be a very good way to define a border. the "border" function of selection transform has always been fuzzy for as long as i can remember. i think you're better off cropping your photo, setting your background color to black and then making the canvas size larger by 48 px in each dimension.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    i'd like to have your answer for you, but that's just not the way i would think to do it. instead, apply a layer effect of stroke, 24 pixels wide, normal blending mode, with stroke on the "inside," and you're done. the great thing is that since the stroke is a defined layer effect, a.) you can save it and reapply it to other images and b.) it's scalable.

as to your particular problem, there is something blurring your selection prior to applying the stroke, or softening it. tear out your channels palette, bump up it's preview icon and watch to see what happens when you make your selection.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    OK, well that worked out perfectly fine. I took admactanium's advice this time, but I'll use yours too rok. Some of the borders look crooked, but that's because there's some actual black thing in the photo. I used this photo just for demonstration purposes.

Thank you guys
  • Reply 4 of 7
    mellomello Posts: 555member
    I have a photoshop question as well. I recently upgraded to the newest

version of photoshop & they changed the way that you link layers together.

In the older version you could just hold the mouse button & drag up or down

over the empty boxes next to the eyeball pics to link multiple layers or click

individual boxes to link. Photoshop C2 doesn't have the boxes. I have to hold

down command, click on the layers I want to link, & then the greyed out link

button on the bottom of the layers palette will let me click it to link them.

Is there a setting that will put those boxes back into the layer palette?
  • Reply 5 of 7
    tacojohntacojohn Posts: 980member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

OK, well that worked out perfectly fine. I took admactanium's advice this time, but I'll use yours too rok. Some of the borders look crooked, but that's because there's some actual black thing in the photo. I used this photo just for demonstration purposes.

Thank you guys

If you want the same effect as the other image you should make your canvas bigger than your image and add a 1 pixel white stroke around the image and set the background to black.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by mello

I have a photoshop question as well. I recently upgraded to the newest

version of photoshop & they changed the way that you link layers together.

In the older version you could just hold the mouse button & drag up or down

over the empty boxes next to the eyeball pics to link multiple layers or click

individual boxes to link. Photoshop C2 doesn't have the boxes. I have to hold

down command, click on the layers I want to link, & then the greyed out link

button on the bottom of the layers palette will let me click it to link them.

Is there a setting that will put those boxes back into the layer palette?

yeah, i noticed that too. i don't see a way to get that old pallete method back.

Quote:

Originally posted by tacojohn

If you want the same effect as the other image you should make your canvas bigger than your image and add a 1 pixel white stroke around the image and set the background to black.

good point. if you want to make that have the same effect, set your background color to white and increase the canvas size by 2px in each dimension (assuming it's not a layer). then changed the background color to black and then canvas size again to 48 px more in each direction.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    if all your images are in one size or two sizes, then you can write a script to do this for you and batch process them together.