HELP!!! It Wont Delete!!

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I dl DAP trial version from there website and used it just fine. Now that it expires, i drag it into the trash and empty it, but it wont empty!! I put other stuff in the trash too but the DAP is still there. Anyone have any idea on how to delete this??

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    keotkeot Posts: 116member
    Have you tried...
    • closing all programs?

• ejecting every disk image?

• logging out then in?

• rebooting?

A very nasty way of deleting things is to use the console. Change into the relevant directory and then type 'rm file' where file is the culprit. This may cause other problems, so it should be done as a last resort.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    omegaomega Posts: 427member
    Quote:

[i]A very nasty way of deleting things is to use the console. Change into the relevant directory and then type 'rm file' where file is the culprit. This may cause other problems, so it should be done as a last resort. [/B]

Deleting through the terminal is nothing to be scared of. If anything I think it is a good thing as it starts to highlight the underpinnings of the OS. As long as you do not do something stupid like trying to rm your HD then you are fine.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    I dont know how to operated Terminal that well and dont want to fuck it up. Can anyone go more into detail on using terminal. Not sure if this help's but when I drag the file back out on to the desktop, it wont open, OS saying it's damage. So can anyone shade some light on this?
  • Reply 4 of 5
    voxappsvoxapps Posts: 236member
    First, try Keot's suggestions. In most cases, one or more of those suggestions will fix your problem.

If you still can't delete the file, open Terminal and type (without quotes) "rm -rf ". (There's a space after -rf.) Then open the trash and drag the problem file from the trash onto the terminal window. Automagically, this will append the correct file path without you having to figure it out. Then simply press the return key and voila, no more annoying trash.

If you get nervous, you can close the Terminal window at any time prior to pressing return and the command will be cancelled.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    omegaomega Posts: 427member
    Also before you do the above type this

man rm

This will bring up the manual for the remove function so you can figure what is happening (sort of)