MacIntel software

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
BBEdit was first announced MacTel ready, what´s next?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Too many to count.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    Firefox is.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    Cinema 4D is.

(Done very quickly.)

Modo by 'Son of Newtek' is, sorry, Luxology.

(It was ready within days of the keynote.)

Mathematica is.

Several thirdy party apps.

Newtek should be there quite quickly with Lightwave. Seeing as they have redone the architecture.

It doesn't seem to be that big a deal.

Easier than doing a Carbon port?

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 4 of 13
    any word from adobe/macromedia? i also wonder if they will tell us that ALL of apples software suites are ready at the expo!
  • Reply 5 of 13
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Macintel
  • Reply 6 of 13
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Lemon Bon Bon

Newtek should be there quite quickly with Lightwave. Seeing as they have redone the architecture.

It doesn't seem to be that big a deal.

Easier than doing a Carbon port?

Lemon Bon Bon [/B]

So, will this likely be just Lightwave 9?

*edit, as opposed to Lightwave 8 student which I got a few months ago. I won't be a student when 9 comes out, and won't be able to afford it w/o an education verison.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    bigbluebigblue Posts: 341member
    I don't get this. According to this article, Intel is not even in demo stage yet for their OSX development tools/compilers (to be included in Xcode). How does everyone already writes and compiles their software to MacIntel ? Is Xcode 'good enough' to do this ?
  • Reply 8 of 13
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BigBlue

I don't get this. According to this article, Intel is not even in demo stage yet for their OSX development tools/compilers (to be included in Xcode). How does everyone already writes and compiles their software to MacIntel ? Is Xcode 'good enough' to do this ?

People are using gcc. Please note that Intel's compilers can't make Universal Binaries and will probably not be used generally.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    The game I originally wrote when I was 13, "The Magic Bat," will be available within the next 6 months.

My uh.. developer team went on strike to protest the fact that my game is being used for military training in working with the mentally disabled.

Sorry for the inconvenience.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by BigBlue

How does everyone already writes and compiles their software to MacIntel ? Is Xcode 'good enough' to do this ?

Actually, Intel is working on a different compiler of their own. XCode 2.1 will already produce universal binaries. This was announced on the first day of the WWDC back in July.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

People are using gcc. Please note that Intel's compilers can't make Universal Binaries and will probably not be used generally.

Intel's compilers cannot do PPC code, but that doesn't matter. You can set Xcode to use ICC (Intel) for x86 and GCC or XLC (IBM) for PPC. The merging into a fat/universal binary has nothing to do with the compiler. It is done by lipo.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

Intel's compilers cannot do PPC code

And Objective-C.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

And Objective-C.

True (and Objective C++). H owever, the real benefit in a compiler like ICC or XLC doesn't lie in object-oriented code anyway, but in mathematical computation code, which you should be writing in C.