Tiger's Firewall

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I connect to the Internet with a broadband connection and have been using OS X's firewall to block any unwelcome visitors connecting to my computer.

But with Tiger came two new items in the Firewall utility that I want to learn more about...

- Block UDP traffic

- Stealth mode

What are these two things. Apple's documentation doesn't really help me that much. Are there any disadvantages of turning either of these two on?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    When curious or inquisitive, go to the Finder and click Help:

Quote:

Setting advanced firewall options

Mac OS X includes firewall software you can use to block unwanted network communication with your computer. You can use a firewall to protect all of the services available in Mac OS X, such as Personal File Sharing, Windows Sharing, and Remote Login.

Using a firewall protects the services on your computer from users on other networks or the Internet.

In addition to the firewall services in Sharing preferences, you can set additional, advanced firewall settings to further protect your computer. The advanced firewall features include:

Blocking UDP traffic UDP (User Datagram Protocol) is a communications protocol that offers a limited amount of service when messages are exchanged between computers in a network that uses the Internet Protocol (IP). Like the Transmission Control Protocol, UDP uses the Internet Protocol to actually get a data unit (called a datagram) from one computer to another. Unlike TCP, UDP does not provide the service of dividing a message into packets (datagrams) and reassembling it at the other end. UDP is transaction oriented, and delivery and duplicate protection are not guaranteed. Blocking UDP traffic can help secure your computer.

Using firewall logging A firewall log is a record of the your computer's activity and the data traffic into and out of your computer through a firewall. Keeping a firewall log can be helpful if you are tracking where the data is coming from and where it is going.

Stealth mode When you enable stealth mode, all uninvited data traffic receives no response from your computer. Stealth mode virtually hides your computer behind your firewall, and other computers sending traffic to your computer receive no information about your computer.

• Reply 2 of 10
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MPMoriarty

I connect to the Internet with a broadband connection and have been using OS X's firewall to block any unwelcome visitors connecting to my computer.

But with Tiger came two new items in the Firewall utility that I want to learn more about...

- Block UDP traffic

- Stealth mode

What are these two things. Apple's documentation doesn't really help me that much. Are there any disadvantages of turning either of these two on?

Unless you need ports open for outsiders to be able to use, everything should be stealth. That makes it look as if there is not even a computer at that IP.

UDP can be off unless you use it to get a better connection on streaming video. Even then, the server should be tagged as "allowed" automatically if you requested the stream.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cake

When curious or inquisitive, go to the Finder and click Help:

Read my original post. I said Apple's documentation wasn't that helpful.

Thanks lundy for the help.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by MPMoriarty

Read my original post. I said Apple's documentation wasn't that helpful.

Yet the only thing that my good friend lundy added was regarding streaming video.

Perhaps in the future you should phrase your questions more succinctly - that way we can help you faster and I don't have to be a dick by responding this way to your last post.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    fahlmanfahlman Posts: 740member
    Cake- Which team do you fold for?
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Team AppleNova and Unreal Playground as NosferaDrew
  • Reply 7 of 10
    regreg Posts: 832member
    UDP is a good article on the subject. I did not realize that VoIP and real time multi-player games also used UDP.

reg
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Will turning on stealth mode mess with Rendezvous...err Bonjour such as sharing iPhoto or iTunes libraries? I wouldn't think it would, but I am just curious.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    regreg Posts: 832member
    As long as you have them selected in Sharing / Firewall to Allow they will show up. The ones you asked about are near the bottom of the allow area. I have mine in Stealth and my iTunes, iPhoto, iChat and SubethaEdit all are visible inside of the router.

reg
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Gotcha.