Help! My new 20" G5 imac DIED!! :(

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hey all. First time posting. About a month ago I ordered a brand new 20" G5 imac. Its worked beautifully for the last month.

HOWEVER. Today it just died. I leave it on in a cool air conditioned room. It usually goes to sleep or the screen saver turns on. But for the last few days...every once in awhile it would just TURN OFF by itself, and I'd have to turn it back on. No biggie I thought.

But then when I woke up today...it was off. I figured it shut itself off again. But this time...it would NOT turn back on. The power button didn't respond. I unplugged and plugged it back in....still nothing.

I have a dead brand new imac on my hands. the thought of lugging it into the city and waiting to be helped at the genius bar is filling me with dread. I LOVE that place....but the wait time is insane.

Does ANYONE out there know what it could be? I heard there were issues with the first gen....but this is a brand new 2nd gen.

Please any advice would be most appreciated.

Thanx

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    i have never taken a computer that needs to be warranty-serviced to a genius bar. maybe there is a local reseller you could check out? i have always called apple care and dealt with them directly, without any problems. but, i have only had laptops serviced, and shipping them around isn't a big deal.

it definitely needs professional service of some kind though.

as is frequently said around here, apple has the lowest service rates in the industry, but are still too far from 0%. good luck!
  • Reply 2 of 3
    could you not just call apple care? 1-800-275-2273

You are still within the 90 days complimentary phone support.

Dunno, when my friend's powerbook had some problems they sent him a prepaid box with packaging materials to his house so he didn't have to go all the way to the nearest representative.

Since I live only 15 minutes away from my apple store I prefer to just bring it over, get to look at some of their products while I'm there and maybe a couple polos to my wardrobe (since it's in a mall).
  • Reply 3 of 3
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

Originally posted by progmac

i have never taken a computer that needs to be warranty-serviced to a genius bar. maybe there is a local reseller you could check out? i have always called apple care and dealt with them directly, without any problems. but, i have only had laptops serviced, and shipping them around isn't a big deal.

it definitely needs professional service of some kind though.

as is frequently said around here, apple has the lowest service rates in the industry, but are still too far from 0%. good luck!

Apple doesn't do shipping repairs of desktops, I tried to get them to do that with my 20" iMac since my leg is in a cast but they would here none of it. Too expensive to pay 2 way shipping on a 40lb. computer compared to a 7lb. laptop.

You can reserve a genius bar appointment at Apple's website. This is what I eventually did. I reserved a 6:20 appointment and was served at 6:05. Right now my iMac is waiting on parts though. I'm waiting for a callback from the Apple store to find out what parts and how long I should be waiting.