RAID Help

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi,

I seem to have fallen down the gaps between Panther RAID (1.x) and Tiger RAID (2.x). I have a 2 disk mirror set (pair of external Firewire disks) which was bootable (used as an emergency boot system).

The iMac they're attached too recently had a corrupted root disk (internal), which was fixed by DiskWarrior, but not usable, so I reinstalled Tiger (with "keep previous system), which worked OK.

During this process (which was prolonged), one of the two disks in the RAID set went degraded, then failed. Although it seems OK, info comes back from it, etc.

After the reinstall the RAID set didn't appear, and disk util gives me:

Code:

RAID SETS

---------

Name: Data

Unique ID: CF90E725-8B47-11D9-8D70-000D93C8D9A8

Type: Mirror

Device Node: disk3

Apple RAID Version: 1

----------------------------------------------------------------------

# Device Node UUID Status

2 disk1s4 6CC69235-5114-4686-A27C-0286719D786A Offline

1 disk2s3 E368F1DC-EFD3-4E1D-9C85-63473E286281 Spare

2 Unknown Missing/Damaged

2 Unknown Missing/Damaged

So, I seem to have spurious slices for slice 2. I also can't find out the definitions of Offline and Spare. Which of these is likely to be recoverable?

Diskutil has given me a variety of errors regarding not being able to get Master node, "Error occurred", and the like.

Anyone know if there's a handy way to de-RAID one of these partitions and mount it?

My plan at the moment is to boot from 10.3.9 DVD and see if Disk Utility on Panther can rebuild it. Then copy the data off, blow away the RAID, recreate as Tiger RAID and copy the data back...

We'll see how it goes.

Thanks,

Martin.