Mac mini test drive, no update until at least end of November?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I've been thinking about holding off on the purchase of a mac mini based on the recent rumor of a better update (G5?!). I just saw on macdailyupdate that Apple online is offering a 30-day money back test drive for all minis bought before Oct.31.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...RdxG1Om6%2F2Zw

At first, I thought GREAT, since promos are usually used to move stock prior to a product change and the deadline seemed to fit with some of the rumors that said an upgrade would come to spur holiday sales.

Thinking it over, though, it means that no upgrade until at least the end of November, since upgrading before then would basically open the door to a flood of returns from recent buyers. The end of Nov. seems a little late to introduce something for the holiday shopping season, so I'm not sure this bodes well for getting a mini update before MWSF (which might be a macintel).

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Considering that the specs were just bumped a month ago, didn't it seem dubious that it would be getting an upgrade soon anyway?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    moofamoofa Posts: 13member
    Yes, but I have the 'potential buyers fantasy' of the stars lining up to produce a perfect upgrade just when I'm in the market. Anyway, like many others, I thought that the last update was a bit on the light side.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    moofamoofa Posts: 13member
    Looks like they pulled the promo one day after it started (check out macdailynews). Very strange, not sure what to think at this point. Was it a trial balloon to gauge interest , or were there some sudden changes it product plans (here comes the optimist in me bubbling up again). Maybe Steve did decide to release that G5 mac mini at Paris after all
  • Reply 4 of 6
    It doesn't matter WHEN you buy it ... a better version will be released a week later, regardless

(This applies to desktops and notebooks, too)
  • Reply 5 of 6
    According to Macdailynews, the offer got yanked.

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 6 of 6
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

Considering that the specs were just bumped a month ago, didn't it seem dubious that it would be getting an upgrade soon anyway?

No, because the specs were not bumped a month ago. It didn't get a faster processor, better graphics, etc. They simply added previous BTO options as standard and dropped the price in order the clear out excess inventory. They have a ton of these to get rid of according to reports. If this were not the case they would have actually upgraded them. No, just an interim step to clear the channel. If they don't kill it off (there is the question as to why they had so much excess inventory) then a G5 is a possibility or it may be the first to go Intel.