Apple preps .Mac updates, hundreds of fixes planned for 10.4.3

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
.Mac updates imminent

It appears Apple will soon update its .Mac Internet services to include a handful of new features.

The company this month recalled all unsold retail copies of .Mac from its distribution channels, sources said. Refreshed .Mac retail boxes are expected to begin shipping to retail outlets shortly. The new version is expected to add the long-rumored Backup 3.0 application and a slew of Dashboard Widgets made exclusively for .Mac subscribers.

Sources previously reported that Backup 3.0 will introduce multiple backup plans, which are designed to simplify backups and secure critical data, such as home folders, personal data files, and iLife content. It will ship with preset backup plans for iLife content such as iPhotos, iMovies, and iTunes music.

The software will also allow users to schedule backups to any destination, and back up more than one computer to the same iDisk.

Both Backup 3.0 and the exclusive Dashboard widgets have been in development for the better part of the year. Although Apple had originally intended to release both pieces of software during the first half of the year, they were delayed to ensure better compatibility and reliability with the latest version of Mac OS X Tiger.

Over 400 minor fixes expected in 10.4.3

In the meantime, Apple continues to develop the next maintenance release to Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger, which will pack an abnormal number of bug fixes.

Rumor has it the company just finished work on Mac OS X 10.4.3 build 8F20, which should make its way to developers momentarily.

This latest pre-release build is said to rectify over 400 bugs and incompatibilities in the Tiger operating system. Among them are fixes to Javascript, Dashboard, iPhoto, WebKit, Image Capture, Safari, .Mac, Printing, Sync Services, Graphics, Video, iChat, FireWire, and many others.

Special media event invite

Several readers have asked to see a copy of Apple's invitation to the Sept 7th special music event. A copy follows:

Apple offers 30-day Mac mini test drive

Apple today quietly launched aÂ*new money-back-guarantee "test drive" on its Mac mini, according to a report by MacNN. The program, exclusively available online, offers a "free test drive" of the Mac mini on all new purchases from the Apple Store.

"WeÂ?re so confident youÂ?ll love your new Mac mini, weÂ?ll let you test drive it for 30 days with no risk. If you decide you donÂ?t want it, weÂ?ll take it back."

The promotion ends on October 31st and allows users to purchase a new Apple keyboard/mouse or the new Mighty Mouse. All items are eligible for return (not including shipping), if the user doesn't "love it."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 66
    It's good to see .Mac get some attention - I use it and feel it has been dragging a bit lately. Now we just need to see a significant bump in storage and I'll be very happy.
  • Reply 2 of 66
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleInsider

This latest pre-release build is said to rectify over 400 bugs and incompatibilities in the Tiger operating system.

Here's hoping that the fixed incompatibilities include the problems that plague the PowerMac G5 1.8 SP (600Mhz FSB).

www.g5freeze.com
  • Reply 3 of 66
    And just recently jdk was giving me a hard time for complaining about Tiger's bugs. Is this list enough proof for you jdk?
  • Reply 4 of 66
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by OriginalMacRat

And just recently jdk was giving me a hard time for complaining about Tiger's bugs. Is this list enough proof for you jdk?

Apologists will always give you a hard time. They will even try to find ways to blame people for failing iMacs and horrible problems with iBooks. They will say that it's your fault for running 64 bit apps, not Apple's for breaking 64 bit apps.

It's what they do. They're apologists. Fuck 'em.
  • Reply 5 of 66
    I am not an apoligist, but here's a fact: I have upgraded half a dozen computers to Tiger, and none of them have exhibited any problems, even with the initial 10.4 release. In fact, I noticed that across the line performance had improved. I have also never had issues with external firewire drives. I did do an "Archive and Install" though, instead of a straight upgrade, so maybe that's why (I don't know, there clearly are some people who have had issues obviously).

That being said, there is an issue I am not happy about: even on the 1.67GHz PowerBook, HD h.264 content tends to not play as well as it should, dropping frames when things get fast. It's BS that it shoudl require a G5 processor.
  • Reply 6 of 66
    I also hope they bump up the storage - 250mb in total? Pah! Maybe a price reduction too and/or the ability to actually pay monthly...
  • Reply 7 of 66
    brendonbrendon Posts: 642member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

Apologists will always give you a hard time. They will even try to find ways to blame people for failing iMacs and horrible problems with iBooks. They will say that it's your fault for running 64 bit apps, not Apple's for breaking 64 bit apps.

It's what they do. They're apologists. Fuck 'em.

Outstanding! Thanks.
  • Reply 8 of 66
    AI is clearly the superior "rumor" site around today.

Another solid update. For the most part macrumors.com just gives me a rehash of the latest AI material.
  • Reply 9 of 66
    amac4meamac4me Posts: 282member
    Overall, I think the Mac Mini test drive is a smart move by Apple as it will get those who are considering the switch to try a Mac and OS X. This should end up bringing more people to the platform and it will be a win-win for Apple and the people who made the Switch.
  • Reply 10 of 66
    arnelarnel Posts: 103member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gramsci

I also hope they bump up the storage - 250mb in total? Pah! Maybe a price reduction too and/or the ability to actually pay monthly...

If they increase the size of the storage, they also need to work on the speed of the servers. It's really too sluggish at the moment to use for anything but the odd homepage, occasional uploads of data files, and so on.

Giving us more space, meaning we'll be trying to transfer bigger files back and forth, would only make the problem worse!

Neil.

a.k.a. Arnel
  • Reply 11 of 66
    Quote:

Originally posted by nathan22t

AI is clearly the superior "rumor" site around today.

Another solid update. For the most part macrumors.com just gives me a rehash of the latest AI material.

Completely agree, AI is the ONLY site with original material...
  • Reply 12 of 66
    10.4.3 has to have more than minor bug fixes, as there are currently several MAJOR bugs in 10.4.x.
  • Reply 13 of 66
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Robin Hood

I am not an apoligist, but here's a fact: I have upgraded half a dozen computers to Tiger, and none of them have exhibited any problems, even with the initial 10.4 release. In fact, I noticed that across the line performance had improved. I have also never had issues with external firewire drives. I did do an "Archive and Install" though, instead of a straight upgrade, so maybe that's why (I don't know, there clearly are some people who have had issues obviously).

That being said, there is an issue I am not happy about: even on the 1.67GHz PowerBook, HD h.264 content tends to not play as well as it should, dropping frames when things get fast. It's BS that it shoudl require a G5 processor.

We should all be so lucky. Too bad Firewire IS such a problem, with Manufacturers admitting such. My Granite tower has problems. I have to Format a new drive internally, from my ATA connector, and THEN put into the ATA/Fireware adapter.

H.264 requires more horsepower than a Powerbook has. It plays 1080p pretty well with my dual 1.8 card in this machine. 720p should play fine on your machine.
  • Reply 14 of 66
    bwhalerbwhaler Posts: 260member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Robin Hood

Not trying to flame you, but if you think Tiger is not buggy as all hell, you really aren't paying attention. There is a reason why this upcoming patch is the biggest in Apple's history.

Examples of Tiger bugs off the top of my head:

1. Delete a folder with it's window open and finder no longer closes the window.

2. Opening the trash now takes 5 - 40 seconds. Even on a 2.5 Ghz machine.

3. Safari memory

4. Put a smart folder in a burn folder and Tiger burns the actual folder, not its contents

5. iSync corrupting address book entries and calendars.

Seriously, the list goes on and on. I'm a huge Apple fan, but I'll give them hell when they deserve it. And Tiger was released at least 4 months premature.
  • Reply 15 of 66
    bwhalerbwhaler Posts: 260member
    I hope Apple takes their time and gets 10.4.3 right. Tiger is a mess right now, and I hope Apple knows it.

Here's hoping that the next patch makes Tiger the quality worthy of Apple. (And so Apple can put most of their resources on embarrassing Microsoft with a Leopard that puts Longhorn to shame.
  • Reply 16 of 66
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BWhaler

I hope Apple takes their time and gets 10.4.3 right. Tiger is a mess right now, and I hope Apple knows it.

Here's hoping that the next patch makes Tiger the quality worthy of Apple. (And so Apple can put most of their resources on embarrassing Microsoft with a Leopard that puts Longhorn to shame.

People were really pissed at me for complaining about Tiger's coming out so early.

The "shit has hit the fan" as it's said.
  • Reply 17 of 66
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    Personally, I am satisfied with Tiger...

except for these things:

Memory and CPU usage by Kernel_task is insane (200 megabyes??)

CPU usage by Kernel_task is insane when using internal modem.

memory usage by small widgets is insane.

memory usage by safari is insane.

24 megabytes of memory for STICKIES??

I know I have 1.5gb of RAM, but I have 25 mb free when I have my normal apps open. Simply ridiculous.

But at least it's teh snappy.

I hope that with these new backup abilities, they'll have gigabytes of storage for each user to do it!!
  • Reply 18 of 66
    Does anyone happen to know if there is a fix in there for the iChat bandwidth error messages? I had my company buy a Mac Mini w/iSight and send it to a remote site to use iChat to conference, and 10.4.1 didn't work, waited for 10.4.2, and no fix. Apple likes to blame it on firewalls and such, but can't seem to explain why there is no problem using 10.3 with these firewalls and you upgrade to 10.4 and it doesn't work anymore. Personally I would like the fix so I can resume chatting with family members again...
  • Reply 19 of 66
    jimzipjimzip Posts: 446member
    I haven't had a problem yet with Tiger, except when I installed it it deleted all my mail accounts..

But the update is certainly welcome.

This is also Apple's last chance to get .Mac right in my mind. If something drastic doesn't happen at this announcement I'm cancelling my sub.

250MB *SHARED* e-mail and webspace?! What is that!? GMail offers a gig of e-mail for free, not to mention hotmail.. Come on Apple! Hotmail is beating you!

The web sharing is awful anyway. Who wants their webpage located at
    Code:

http://www.homepage.mac.com/user/root/thisisaunixserver/runningapache/isntitgreat/myfolder/mypages/index.html

??

Minor exaggeration there but you get the hint, it's way behind in every way. Who cares about backup, you can't back up 14GB of iMovies and 6GB of music anyway, and don't even bother trying to transfer something to your iDisk if you're in a hurry!! It takes 22seconds to save a text file FGS..

Uh.. Yeah that's my rant.. I'm not too much of a fan of .Mac if you guessed..

Jimzip
  • Reply 20 of 66
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    Gmail offers 2.5+ gigabytes at the moment. And it's free. And better than .Mac mail.