20 Inch display problem

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Well, hi.

I got a 20" ACD last night and took a Mac mini home too. I think they will serve me enough for surfing and some word processing come MacIntels. I'm generally satisfied with my purchase but so far two issues remain (and I never had these issues before on either my eMac, iBook or PB that I had before).

1. The USB & FireWire ports on the back of the display just don't work. I plug-in an Apple keyboard, no-go. Plugged in an iPod, still no-go. I tried the USB & FireWire and all 4 of them are just not working. Maybe I need to turn on the hub somewhere and I'm just missing that?

2. My Canon PowerShot S410 is not being recognized. Again, iBook and PB recognized it just fine. I installed whateve came on the CD and all the programs work but the camera is just simply not recognized. Tried many things, updated the Canon software through their website, but still no luck.

I'm just tired of trying to figure out what to do and figured that somebody might have had the same problems and could offer me some help perhaps?

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

Well, hi.

I got a 20" ACD last night and took a Mac mini home too. I think they will serve me enough for surfing and some word processing come MacIntels. I'm generally satisfied with my purchase but so far two issues remain (and I never had these issues before on either my eMac, iBook or PB that I had before).

1. The USB & FireWire ports on the back of the display just don't work. I plug-in an Apple keyboard, no-go. Plugged in an iPod, still no-go. I tried the USB & FireWire and all 4 of them are just not working. Maybe I need to turn on the hub somewhere and I'm just missing that?

2. My Canon PowerShot S410 is not being recognized. Again, iBook and PB recognized it just fine. I installed whateve came on the CD and all the programs work but the camera is just simply not recognized. Tried many things, updated the Canon software through their website, but still no luck.

I'm just tired of trying to figure out what to do and figured that somebody might have had the same problems and could offer me some help perhaps?

Thanks.

the usb and firewire cables coming FROM the display are plugged in, right?
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

the usb and firewire cables coming FROM the display are plugged in, right?

Good point. And it solved my first issue. Thank you.

I still have the Canon PowerShot S410 not being recognized issue. If anyone could help I'd appreciate it.

Thanks again ipodandimac.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

Good point. And it solved my first issue. Thank you.

I still have the Canon PowerShot S410 not being recognized issue. If anyone could help I'd appreciate it.

Thanks again ipodandimac.

I'd un-install the Canon software. A good rule of thumb with OS X is never install any CD that comes with hardware unless it is proven to be needed.

OS X recognizes my Canon Powershot just fine and always has. No Canon software needed.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    I read in Canon's website that they don't support Tiger (yet). This is what it says:

Quote:

Canon is conducting compatibility tests for the current versions of Canon digital imaging software with the shipping versions of Mac OS X 10.4 [Tiger]. Results will be posted soon. For now, Canon is not claiming compatibility with Mac OS X 10.4

But it also says:

Quote:

Mac OS X 10.1 and newer come with Image Capture drivers that support most of Canon's digital cameras with USB interfaces. When a compatible camera is connected to a compatible Mac computer running OS X 10.1 and newer, the computer detects the camera and automatically launches Image Capture. This Apple program allows JPEG images in the camera to be downloaded to the Macintosh. NOTE: RAW files from Canon digital cameras cannot be downloaded in OS X via Image Capture. We suggest the use of File Viewer Utility or an external card reader. Also, movie files shot with PowerShot cameras cannot be downloaded in OS X via Image Capture or iPhoto. We suggest the use of ImageBrowser or an external card reader.

So I will take your suggestion and uninstall all Canon software. I'll report what happened. Thanks.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    OK, I got it working. Apparently, in OS X you need to put the slider in 'View Images' instead of 'Shoot' so the camera can enter into a mode that could be described as 'safe to suck pictures from my Flash Card' mode.

I got it all sorted out. I just can't believe this was not documented. Thanks guys!

This thread can now be locked.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    You may have to launch Image Capture and make sure in its Preferences that it is set to open iPhoto when a camera is connected.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

You may have to launch Image Capture and make sure in its Preferences that it is set to open iPhoto when a camera is connected.

Yeah I did that. And it worked.

Much obliged.