Standard User and Airport

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I wonder if anyone has a solution to my problem.

I've got a PowerBook that my wife and I share, I have an admin account and she has a standard account. When my wife finishes using the laptop she closes the lid and puts it to sleep. When the laptop is then opened again it refuses to connect up to my wireless network again without her supplying my admin username and password.

I can't remember this being a problem under Panther and was wondering if I have set something up which could cause this or if this is the way Tiger behaves? My PowerBook is set to automatically join my wireless network and my wireless network is set up as one of the preferred networks.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    This is a wild stab in the dark, but go to System Preferences > Network, select your wireless connection and click the Configure button. There should be an Options button, click that. One of the options is "Disconnect from wireless networks when I log out".
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Unfortunately that doesn't work. The only solution I can think of is to make my wife an administrator too, but I don't think I should have to when this worked perfectly under Panther.

Maybe I should try asking on Apple's discussion forums and see if anyone else has the same problem.

Thanks anyway.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    No, you don't need to make your Wife an admin. I had this same problem with one of the kids computers.

Open System Preferences -- Network.

Double-click on your Airport.

At the bottom of the display, click on the "options" button.

UNcheck the "Require Admin password for..." stuff.

That should fix your problem.