HDMI 1.2 coming with improved PC support

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
http://www.hdmi.org/press/pr/pr_20050823.asp

Quote:

The HDMI 1.2 specification also adds features and capabilities that increase HDMI's appeal for use in both the CE and PC industries. Specifically, the features and modifications for HDMI 1.2 include:

Support for One Bit Audio format, such as SuperAudio CD's DSD (Direct Stream Digital)

Changes to offer better support for current and future PCs with HDMI outputs, including:

Availability of the widely-used HDMI Type A connector for PC sources and displays with full support for PC video formats

Ability for PC sources to use their native RGB color-space while retaining the option to support the YCbCr CE color-space

Requirement for HDMI 1.2 and later displays to support future low-voltage (i.e., AC-coupled) sources, such as those based on PCI Express I/O technology

"HDMI 1.2 has several changes to better support the PC industry, including a minor modification to the electrical specification to ensure compatibility of current and future HDMI receivers with a low voltage, AC coupled transmitter (for example, a transmitter in an integrated graphics chip)," said Leslie Chard, President of HDMI Licensing, LLC. "The HDMI Founders also intend to define additional HDMI electrical and connector options that would allow PC vendors to more easily develop HDMI-compatible products."

:

I've highlited some important pieces to the PC industry

ATI and Nvidia both plan to add HDMI ports to their cards

Now we're talking. The Mac mini would be an ideal candidate to add HDMI ports since it's lacking good audio I/O and it's the perfect size for use in HTPC environments. HDMI 1.2 also finally allows SACD throughput. I can finally buy into the hirez formats easily with a nice Universal player that support HDMI 1.2.

Copy protection is a native part of the HDMI spec as well so it further paves the way for playing back HiDef content on a computer. Good news all around IMHO.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Yay!
  • Reply 2 of 3
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Just a little bitching and moaning, but I have been building my home theater for 3 years or so now in my spare time and with a total of over $9,000, HDMI will prevent HD DVD's from working with my system. I don't have a single HDMI port anywhere in my entire house. No, I can't support this technology as the ONLY high definition DVD cable. I need DVI, VGA, or component.

(Second rant in a week. I'm on a roll! )
  • Reply 3 of 3
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Man HDMI has taken forever and I do feel for early adopters who will be frozen out if they don't have at least HDCP DVI with their HDTV.

I guess now the time is coming for me to hop in. I was stubbornly waiting for the ability to run DVD-Audio and SACD over HDMI.

Receivers now at a certain level will give you 2/1 HDMI I/O. I think consumers will need on the average 4 HDMI inputs though because I could see a PS3 in one along with Upconverting DVD player and potentially a Xbox or HTPC taking up the remaining ports.

I'm shooting for a clean system with a minimum of cables. Now that HDMI is suitable for PC signals I can see that a HTPC becomes much more viable.

Imagine a

Dual Core Yonah Mac mini

HDMI 1.2 out

The ability to run iLife right into a HDTV will be the bees knees. Photos, iTunes, Garageband, and more connected wireless or wired.

Homepod is upon us.