Notes: accessories, Harry Potter, Honda, Audi, QuickTime 7.0.2

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Over 1,000 accessories now available for iPod

Apple today announced that there are more than 1,000 accessories made specifically for iPod. "The iPod economy has flourished with over 21 million iPods sold and a wide range of companies creating products ranging from high-end fashion cases to speaker systems to automobile integration kits for iPod," the company said.Â*

Apple also announced that there are more than 700 products bearing the "Made for iPod" logo on the market or in development, assuring customers that an electronic accessory has been designed specifically to connect to iPod and has been certified by the developer to meet Apple performance standards.Â*

Harry Potter audiobooks exclusively on iTunes

The entire Harry Potter audiobook series is now available exclusively on the iTunes Music Store, Apple announced today. Customers can either download individual audiobooks or the complete Harry Potter Digital Box Set which includes a full color digital booklet as well as previously unreleased readings from author J.K. Rowling. Harry Potter fans can also purchase the complete Harry Potter Digital Box Set together with a CollectorÂ?s Edition 20GB iPod engraved with the Hogwarts crest.

The complete Harry Potter Digital Box Set is equivalent to almost 100 CDs, but customers can purchase this entire audiobook collection with just one click and then transfer all six books onto their iPod to take with them wherever they go.

Apple teams with Acura, Audi, Honda and Volkswagen to offer iPod connectivity

Apple today announced it has teamed up withÂ*Acura, Audi, Honda and VolkswagenÂ*to deliver iPod integration with their car stereos for 2006 model lines. Seamless integration of iPods in cars allows music lovers to enjoy high-quality sound through their carÂ?s stereo system, easily access their entire music library and take their music with them everywhere they go.Â*There are now 15 car companies around the worldÂ*offering iPod integration, and more than 5 millionÂ*cars will ship with iPod supportÂ*in the US in 2006.Â* Â*

The Honda and Acura Music Link iPod integrations will be the first to include text-to-speech capabilities or VoiceID, which is used to search for playlists, artist and album names or genre information.Â*Acura andÂ*Honda will feature iPod integration in the majority of their lineup beginning later this year.

Beginning in November,Â*Audi will feature iPod integration in the A3, A4 and TT models and Volkswagen will offer iPod integration for the majority of their 2006 US lineup.

iTunes Music Store No.1 in the UK with 80 % market share

Earlier today Apple also announced that the iTunes Music Store is the number one digital music service in the UK with 80 percent market share of digital sales, according to the Official Charts Company (OCC). Apple's UK iTunes catalog features over 1.7 million songs.

QuickTime 7.02 released

Apple today released QuickTime 7.02, an update to its multimedia software for playback of digital files. According to the company, QuickTime 7.0.2 delivers numerous important bug fixes and compatibility enhancements and "is highly recommended for all QuickTime 7 users."

Apple also released the final version of QuickTime 7 for Windows 2000/XP, which includes iTunes 5 for Windows.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    This is great news for Apple while they transition to the Intel chips. Otherwise their revenue stream is bone dry. Jobs was wise to take advantage of Microsoft's lull and Apple's advantaged position during this time.

Also, if you already own QT 7, I wouldn't advise upgrading to the new one, unless you want to pay ANOTHER $30 to get Pro functionality back. Me... I'm not doing it.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Whaaaaaa?

Incorrect. You pay the $30 Pro fee/tax/etc per *major* upgrade, ala 5 -> 6, 6 -> 7. If you've paid it for 7, you're good until 8 comes out.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    Truthfully, I wasn't looking forward to shopping for cars next year because of the lack of iPod integration in Acuras. This is great news. Acura has the best factory installed voice activated navigation system I have used. I can't wait to see how the voice/speech thing is going to work. Now if Porsche could just jump on board...
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Wtf.

Brand spanling new vertion of iTunes and no new icon. Why staying with the green now whwn they redid the apperance.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    Apple's revenue is otherwise "bone dry"?

I'm afraid you are a little out of touch. Despite the sensationalist opinion pieces saying Apple wouldn't be able to sell current Macs after announting Intel Macs, there hasn't been a change in the number of Macs Apple's been shipping, or in Apple's healthy ongoing growth.

Sure, there are the Mac people who hang out online and talk about not buying anything until they know what's going to be released, but try visiting an Apple Store. They're full of people buying Macs (and iPods, and software and anything else they want).

The general public doesn't know or care what type of processor is in their computer. They want something that works and isn't full of adware and viruses.

If Apple's revenues were in danger of soft sales, their stock price wouldn't be at an all time high and on the rise.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Does anyone know why MP4s encoded with QT7 and/or FCP don't play on the Sony Playstation Portable? I read somewhere that the "headers" in the QT MP4s are different from PC (or Sony-happy) files. At the mo, I'm outputting .mov files and having to rencode them as MP4 using the IMtoo PSP converter (which I'm agonisingly operating in Windows XP under Virtual PC 7). Any advice anyone?
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by SpamSandwich

Also, if you already own QT 7, I wouldn't advise upgrading to the new one, unless you want to pay ANOTHER $30 to get Pro functionality back. Me... I'm not doing it.

I thought that at first as well until I re-read the description on the download from System Update. I have already downloaded QT 7.0.2 and I can tell you that you do not lose your license. I didn't.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by farve

Wtf.

Brand spanling new vertion of iTunes and no new icon. Why staying with the green now whwn they redid the apperance.

hahaha... I wish that they had given us a new iPod Updater for existing iPods to fix some of the issues that have been found like auto-updating of Smart Playlists on the iPod which was broken in the previous updater.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    In looking at the Harry Potter link, am I missing something or do you have to download the Harry Potter readings? In other words, if you buy the HP iPod (geddit? Harry Potter iPod!), Apple will not sell it preloaded with the content?
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by JimDreamworx

In looking at the Harry Potter link, am I missing something or do you have to download the Harry Potter readings? In other words, if you buy the HP iPod (geddit? Harry Potter iPod!), Apple will not sell it preloaded with the content?

That is the way that I understand it. You order the special iPod/Harry Potter combo and immediately start downloading the books while waiting on the iPod. It will probably take that long to get it with the popularity of the book.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    bka77bka77 Posts: 331member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleInsider

Beginning in November,_Audi will feature iPod integration in the A3, A4 and TT models and Volkswagen will offer iPod integration for the majority of their 2006 US lineup.

great, the Audi I want an integration with the iPod isn't mentioned!
  • Reply 12 of 15
    domdn ... have you tried using ffmpegX on mac os X to make those Sony-happy mp4-h.264 files?
  • Reply 13 of 15
    hey... IIRC when i bought my first very own apple (iBook, circa 2001) it had a free chapter of harry potter preloaded on iTunes... ah, apple and harry potter. good stuff. so far i've only watched the movies though, never got into the books....

warning, not very on topic and possibly disturbing: when do hermione and harry get it on? raging hormones and all that? or hermione and ron? or maybe a thre----- oops, wrong forum, i know there's those "slash fiction" sites out there for this kind of stuff
  • Reply 14 of 15
    nevermind, edited out my post, don't want to disrespect appleinsider by even hinting about serialz -SR
  • Reply 15 of 15
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    the harry potter "box" set is $249. does that seem insanely expensive to anyone else? i know that i have bought each book for about $15. seems a little lame