Transferring music files again

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I'm having some problems transferring music files from one computer to another especially the ones I purchased.

Any help from you experts?--I have them in my music folder in itunes.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sammick

I'm having some problems transferring music files from one computer to another especially the ones I purchased.

This will take away the encryption on iTMS-purchased music and allow you to use it on any computer:

http://www.hymn-project.org/

it's not legal in most countries including the US, so for the record I'm telling you that it works great but you shouldn't use it because that would be wrong :,(
  • Reply 2 of 12
    What type of problems are you having?
  • Reply 3 of 12
    I have my itunes which contain all my music in my music file on my laptop. This consists of both the music from cd's that I burned and the music I purdchased.

I connect the laptop to my Imac with firewire and copy the itunes from the laptop to the music file on the Imac--

The burned music transfers, but the puchased music doesn't.

After fooling around a bit, i get it to transfer and then imput my password and it works.

Am I doing it correctly? It isn't a smooth transfer--I have to fool around a bit to get it to work.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Are you using iTune's Add To Library menu item to transfer the files? I've never had a problem doing it this way.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    No, I'm not--maybe that's my problem--I will use it.

Thanks for the help.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    How do I work it/ Do I connect the 2 computers as I did and use add to library in the itunes menu of the Imac the library files of the laptop?
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Yes but before you do that open iTunes preferences, select Advanced and on the General tab make sure that Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library is checked.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    If you're not going to be using your old computer -- if you're selling it or giving it away or turning it into a decorative fountain -- don't forget to deauthorize it for the iTunes Music Store first.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

Hi Sammick,

have you got this sorted yet? If not, I can tell you exactly what you need to do, but I'd rather not spend 15 minutes writing a post that you don't need.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Not really, I do get it to work sometimes but......

can you give me a short summary??

I'd really appreciate it.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

Not really, I do get it to work sometimes but......

can you give me a short summary??

I'd really appreciate it.

O.K., As I understand it, you currently have a fully-functional music library on your laptop, and you'd like this music library to be duplicated on your iMac.

So far, you've transfered some stuff, but it hasn't really worked properly.

I would suggest starting from a clean slate.

1) Launch iTunes on your iMac, click on the "Advanced" menu and choose "Deauthorize Computer...".

2) Select the library in the "source" column of the main itunes window, "select all", and hit the delete key. A dialogue may come up asking if you're sure, click "yes". Another dialogue should appear asking you if you'd like to move the files to the trash, click on "yes", and then empty the trash in the finder. This does of course assume that you only have music on your iMac that is also on your laptop. If that is not the case, make sure you only select & delete music that's on the laptop!

You should now have a clean slate on the iMac.

Now do this:

1) Shutdown the laptop.

2) Connect firewire cable from laptop to iMac

3) Turn on laptop, immediately hold down the "T" key on the laptop.

4) The laptop will turn on in Target Disk Mode, and should mount as a hard drive on the iMac.

5) Open iTunes preferences on the iMac, and go to "advanced". Make sure that the "Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library" option is checked.

6) Using the Finder, open the laptop hard drive and navigate to your iTunes music folder (should be in /users/yourname/music/itunes/itunes music/).

7) Assuming you used the default settings for iTunes on your laptop, this folder should contain all of the music that shows up in iTunes on your laptop, organised into folders by artist name. Set the finder view mode to list view or column view, and select the folder at the top of the list. Position the finder window and the iTunes window so that you can see both at the same time.

8 ) Scroll down to the last folder that starts with an "a", press shift, and select the folder. This should select all the folders that start with the letter "a" and any folders that start with a non-letter character.

9) Drag these folders over the iTunes window. A "plus" icon should appear. Release the mouse button and iTunes will start copying the music over from the laptop. (it may take a while to start the copy, wait at least a minute if you think it isn't doing anything)

10) Repeat steps 8 ) and 9) for each letter of the alphabet (this is a better idea than doing the whole lot all at once, both iTunes and the Finder can choke if you drag & drop too much stuff at once).

11) You should now be done. If you try playing a track that you purchased at the iTunes music store on the iMac, you will have to enter your Apple ID and password to authorize the machine. Once you've done that once, all purchased music should work.

12) Unmount the laptop hard drive from the imac, turn the laptop off, disconnect the firewire cable, and turn the laptop back on. Launch iTunes on the laptop and compare the song total and total time* for the iTunes libraries on the laptop and iMac. They should, of course, be the same. If they aren't, post back here and I'll give some more advice.

* Make sure it's showing the "expanded version" e.g., my iTunes library says 18:10:01:33 total time, but if I click on that text, it just says 18.4 days. clicking again reverts to the 18:10:01:33 view

If there's anything here you don't quite follow or doesn't seem to work, let me know. Good luck!
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Thanks for your kindness in typing out these instructions--IT WORKS GREAT!!!!!