Great Opening for OmniGroup

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I think of the weak areas of mac software availability is the lack of a GOOD consumer office suit and especially the lack of a "Print Shop clone". Print Shop and other wannabes are huge PC sellers and used by everyone. and it works well to make cards, banners, brochures, etc. the last mac version was released with the Performa series and doesn't run on OS 9 nevermind OS X.

Omni Group is great at writing for OS X, wizards at cocoa, and would be perfect for writing something like an OmniGroup Print Shop.

2nd... Apple should either get their shit together and rewrite AppleWorks or sell it to Omni Group and let them do it because AppleWorks is pathetic and has gotten consistently worse since CW5

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    Man, Applenut, I was thinking EXACTLY the same thing today.

I thought "Why doesn't Apple pay OmniGroup to re-work AppleWorks" and create an Office-killer?
  • Reply 2 of 12
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Rework it? Hell, they should just send Omni the requirements document.

AW is full of wierd legacy code, and version 6 demonstrated amply that it's not very future-proof. Better to let them start from scratch, and offer lots of engineering assistance.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Hmmmm... Omniworks.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    would OmniMail be a part of that? I'd kill for Omni to rework mail.app
  • Reply 5 of 12
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    I could go for that.

Now, if they could only get to 4.1........
  • Reply 6 of 12
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    And hey, you know I'm only joking. Omni rules.

[ 01-29-2002: Message edited by: kcmac ]</p>
  • Reply 7 of 12
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    I love Omni's software (eh, that's funny, Omni is not is the dictionary...). I've bought licenses for Omniweb, omnigraffle and omnioutliner already. Just waiting for something else to send my money for They make great software and give great ed discounts. Now, if OW 4.1 would quit crashing on me (I know it's just a beta, but....)

btw, has anyone tried print explosion deluxe? I hear it's ok, but haven't used it yet.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Omni has gone on record several times that they have no plans for an OmniMail or OmniOffice program. According to Rick (I believe, or maybe it was Ken), the software Omni has written was done because they personally wanted it. They have said they have no desire to write an e-mail client at this time.

Yes, I would love someone to write a fresh version of AppleWorks or Print Shop for the Mac, but I don't see it coming from Omni any time soon. Remember that Omni is a very small company and already have their hands full right now.

damn spelling mistakes...

[ 01-30-2002: Message edited by: starfleetX ]</p>
  • Reply 9 of 12
    enderender Posts: 353member
    I believe I remember Rick posting that somewhere.

They do great work, but I doubt that they could manage such huge projects as some of you propose. An office suite is LOTS of work. I mean, Microsoft may not be the best, but they've got experience, and they only do major updates like once every year or two.

How long ago was the last major update for AppleWorks? Over a year ago, right?

Anyway, I am excited to see what the OmniGroup has for us once current projects have quieted to a dull roar...

Keep up the good work guys (& gals?)!

-Ender
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Hey guys. A few weeks ago I got a job working at Omni. I work with rick doing Human Interfaces. And I also help out with tech support.

Omni gets lots of E-mails about making new apps like OmniMail and OmniWord. We keep a list of all these requests and whant people E-mail in about them.

The problem is that Omni is such a small company (about 15 people) right now it seems like it would be imposibleto make a new major app. Espetialy beacuse Omni is growing right now, trying to get OmniWeb perfect and get there other apps like OmniGraffle in Boxes and in stores.

But I think in the future (not near future) apps like this would be a big posibility. I would love to see it alos.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Hey, even OmniWord would be great, if they couldn't do OmniWorks. Most people who buy Office just want a word processor and mail client and MAYBE a spreadsheet anyway.

I know what it's like to run a really small company and have enthusiastic, well-meaning customers suggesting that you take on lots of really big, complicated projects. It's flattering, but tough to contemplate when you're already overwhelmed with all the projects already cooking. But still, it's good for OmniGroup to know what kinds of future products their customers would like to see, in case their resources gradually do grow to the point where they can start something new & big.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Oh, and Michael -- congrats on hooking up with one of the great little development companies in the Mac community!