Removable Flash Memory

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Given the cost of Flash memory, I wonder why apple or others don't make music players using removable flash memory, such as MemoryStick or those even smaller memory cards (from SanDisk for instance), that should significantly lower the cost of the music player and I could swap my removable memory between digicam, music player, pda and other devices, as I need it, making better use of this expensive ressource.

No?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    no , not really, cause if apple sold memeory they would still have to pay royalties for the technology. if they stick to regualar nand flash memory, they just put the chip in and that's it. no royalties for the specific system. besides hot swapable memories actullay create more problems including easier piracy (which the studios wouldn't like?) . Also, if people wanted a bigger ipod, the would only have to buy a bigger memory and not a third party card. the current system is better for apple sales. the shuffle for intance is like a troyan hose, people buy becase they just want to give it a try(how bad would 99 busck darw me back), and before they know it they are buying a mac and a nano. Sticking to regular flash like the shuffle and nano is cheaper and more convienent.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by astra4

Given the cost of Flash memory, I wonder why apple or others don't make music players using removable flash memory, such as MemoryStick or those even smaller memory cards (from SanDisk for instance), that should significantly lower the cost of the music player and I could swap my removable memory between digicam, music player, pda and other devices, as I need it, making better use of this expensive ressource.

The SanDisks are the only models I've seen that have a slot, other than the unknown brands that don't look like they have scrap value.

I like the idea though. I think it is very much a business decision of all the makers to leave them out, to encourage people to replace their entire player rather than buying a chip. In Apple's case though, their products are the most compact in their respective product classes, and adding a reader slot does take more volume than a fixed SMT chip.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    If you want removable memory for music then my suggestion is you buy a phone. The issue is one of size and cost as well as which memory would they support. Undoubtedly SD cards but then if you own a Olympus, Sony, Fuji or some old Kodaks and Canons that helps you not at all. Add to that most people tend to carry dedicated music players anyway there doesn't seem to be much point, especially if you're likely to want your music while using your PDA or other device. Why not buy yourself an iPod with camera connector then save yourself some money with a smaller card for photos.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    The Sony Walkman phone (W800i) and Motorola iPhone E1 ROKR both do exactly what you are describing. They use removeable flash memory card to store the songs.

The ROKR however makes it really difficult to get at the flash-memory card (it's under the battery). Another problem with using these flash memory card in phones is that read/write speeds are horrible. It takes an hour to fill the ROKR with 100 songs. The W800 is better, but still really slow by iPod standards.