Janu - Testers Needed !

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Greetings,

I just finished writing a program called Janu - Java Address Notification Utility. It's a command line java application designed to allow users to find their computers public ip address and have it emailed to them.

Janu is free open source software and can be downloaded at http://catnipcomputer.net/Janu.html

What I'm looking for is a yay or a nay on if my program works and if it's useful or not. If it's useful I can go the extra steps to bolt on a GUI and installer etc...

I would appreciate it if a couple of people tried it out and told me what they think. This is my first open source project.

Please give Janu a try and let me know what you think.

Thank you

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    If I understand it correctly its useful if you wan´t to use the computer as a personal server but doesn´t have a fixed IP, no?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Nice - you don't transmit the email address anywhere, so there's no chance of it being scraped. Looks good.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

If I understand it correctly its useful if you wan´t to use the computer as a personal server but doesn´t have a fixed IP, no?

Yes, that's correct... I personally like to leave my home computer's with ssh access turned on so I can always get to them if I need them. I occaisionally see people asking about this sort of thing on the internet and the usual answer is to sign up for dyndns which is not necessarily a bad thing but to me it's overkill. Janu allows for you to track multiple computers in different locations without having to sign up for a service such as dyndns for each one.

Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Nice - you don't transmit the email address anywhere, so there's no chance of it being scraped. Looks good.

Thank you
  • Reply 4 of 6
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    If only you could write a utility that would ensure that my cable modem doesn't crap out every few days!
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

If only you could write a utility that would ensure that my cable modem doesn't crap out every few days!

Put it on a timer that cycles the power once a day
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by AsLan^

Put it on a timer that cycles the power once a day

Inovative!!! Good idea.