Low audio volume of Apple webcasts?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
When I watch the webcasts of Apple media events, lastly the iPod nano presentation, I just can't seem to get an adequate volume level, even though both the System and QuickTime audio control sliders are at maximum.

I guess I should mention I'm using this on a WinXP notebook.

I now experienced the problem with the new QT7, but I remember having had the same issue with QT6.

I'm not entirely sure whether this is a problem of the Apple webcasts or of QT on my system in general. I tried one of those movie trailer thingies to compare, and had the impression that sound volume was insufficient there as well, but wasn't quite sure about it...

Did any of you experience the same and possibly have a clue what I can do to pump up this volume?

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Yes. I also had to turn up my master volume quite a bit when watching the music event (using QT 6 on a 15" Powerbook). They must have encoded it with low audio.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

Yes. I also had to turn up my master volume quite a bit when watching the music event (using QT 6 on a 15" Powerbook). They must have encoded it with low audio.

Most video encoded with Dolby requires external speakers to hear at an adequete level. This will be the same for almost any DVD you insert and try to play on your computer (on windoze I honestly dunno tho).

This is a general answer, I'm not sure specifically what's up with the Apple broadcast, but this phenomena is common and has always been the case (for me anyways, need to adjust volume on external speakers, internal are never loud enough).
  • Reply 3 of 3
    I concur that on my powerbook, I had to crank the volume to hear at a satisfactory level.