Just confirming an Airport Express can do this

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
As i said, i just want to confirm that this is possible before i buy an airport express.

I was to make sure that an airport Express can act as a wireless print server and remote speakers without being connected to an ethernet cable. There is no way to run an ethernet to where i want to put my printer and boombox.

Also, could i set it up so that a powermac which is wired to the ethernet print to it. We have a wireless base station (non-apple) so it would just go through the router rather than direct (though for all i know it does go directly).

Thanks guys!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jwink3101

As i said, i just want to confirm that this is possible before i buy an airport express.

I was to make sure that an airport Express can act as a wireless print server and remote speakers without being connected to an ethernet cable. There is no way to run an ethernet to where i want to put my printer and boombox.

Also, could i set it up so that a powermac which is wired to the ethernet print to it. We have a wireless base station (non-apple) so it would just go through the router rather than direct (though for all i know it does go directly).

Thanks guys!

yes to 1st ques. use it in client mode:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=108038#6

no to 2nd ques. actually, it depends. no if in client mode, yes with WDS:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=108040

it looks like you can't have it both ways with your 3rd party base station. if you want to use WDS, you need an AirPort Exreme/Express \

hope this helps.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    It seems like i can with client mode where the Express would join the the network through the linksys router. I am not looker for an extender.

What i wonder, and it seems like "yes" with client mode, is if i amon the other side of the house and have a good connection to the linksys access point but i am too far away from the Express to connect directly, could i still print to it. I bet i coudld if i am reading it right. Even if i couldn't, it wouldn;t be the end of the world. It would just mean i need to be in my room to print.

Thanks for your help and the links
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jwink3101

It seems like i can with client mode where the Express would join the the network through the linksys router. I am not looker for an extender.

What i wonder, and it seems like "yes" with client mode, is if i amon the other side of the house and have a good connection to the linksys access point but i am too far away from the Express to connect directly, could i still print to it. I bet i coudld if i am reading it right. Even if i couldn't, it wouldn;t be the end of the world. It would just mean i need to be in my room to print.

Thanks for your help and the links

yes, in client mode the Express can act as a wireless print server and can stream music. but the ethernet port isn't enabled in client mode so you can't print thru a direct wired link to the Express.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Hey just wanted to chime in here, I can "print" to my express from wired computers on my main router. Also my express works horribly with windows machines... iTunes stutters and anything besides plain text will empty my paper tray and print a bunch of garbled pages, it works just fine for the mac though :/
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by Inside_line

Hey just wanted to chime in here, I can "print" to my express from wired computers on my main router. Also my express works horribly with windows machines... iTunes stutters and anything besides plain text will empty my paper tray and print a bunch of garbled pages, it works just fine for the mac though :/

Thanks, I will be using it from my mac but i guess i won;t get a second one for my mom's printer. Thanks
  • Reply 6 of 6
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    I learned a new thng yesterday. WHen our communal network is down (due to the combination of a idealistic open structure and evil winra) I can stream music to my Airport Express. My computer simply can´t see it. I guess its because it loses its IP while the network is too busy dealing with the data from the infection. Is there a workaround?

I have one fixed IP at my disposal. Since setting up the network was pure PnP I have not looked into what I can do with the Airport Express. Could I give it the fixed IP (instead of my main computer. Really don´t need it on that anymore) as a workaround?