Xbox360 already in production...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/15/te...CNszPtc1i2QvZw

"In an interview yesterday, Mitch Koch, head of retail sales for Microsoft, declined to say how many consoles Microsoft planned to have available. He did say that production of final Xbox 360 consoles has begun, but would not say precisely when it had started."

Doesn't the Xbox360 have 3 3.2Ghz G5 processors?

If they can already make it now... why can't Apple have 3.2Ghz G5's?

I didn't really know where to put this but I found it interesting.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Lorre

Doesn't the Xbox360 have 3 3.2Ghz G5 processors?

not really...
  • Reply 2 of 19
    Moving to General Discussion......
  • Reply 3 of 19
    lorrelorre Posts: 396member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tubgirl

not really...

Oh... then what do they have?

Sorry for putting it in the wrong forum, I wasn't too sure about wether or not this had relevance to future Apple products.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    Hi. You'd better do a search before posting; ther was several threads about Xbox 360 processor, such as this one (see Programmer's answer).

To simplify now, XBox 360 will have a triple-core 3.2 GHz PowerPC, but each core is far less complex than in a G5, thus providing this rising in frequency.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    lorrelorre Posts: 396member
    OK thanks, that clears up a few things to me.

Sorry, I'm fairly new to this board, and it's so big...

Ah well, I suppose this thread can be closed then.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    It's ok, everyone has to be New once...
  • Reply 7 of 19
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    And then there are those who never develops from that stage...
  • Reply 8 of 19
    A triple core 3.2ghz G5 would cost about a grand and the thermal signature would probably be visable from space. These are single purpose gaming chips.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BenRoethig

A triple core 3.2ghz G5 would cost about a grand and the thermal signature would probably be visable from space. These are single purpose gaming chips.

That was too funny to go unnoticed.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    Xbox 360...

drool...

I'm gettinga a G5 in October and a 360 in november.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    i wonder if they could be modded to run OS X like the XBox?
  • Reply 12 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

That was too funny to go unnoticed.

Imagine the liquid cooling required for a dual 3 core 3.2 Ghz G5 powermac. G5 Refidgerator Edition!
  • Reply 13 of 19
    revolution will have dual processors single sore each. They are roughly based on the G5, being from IBM. They are mostly the same as xbox 360. cept it is dual
  • Reply 14 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by i-am-an-elf

revolution will have dual processors single sore each. They are roughly based on the G5, being from IBM. They are mostly the same as xbox 360. cept it is dual

Rumor, unsubstantiated. And personally I don't believe it either. For the reasons mentioned about the G5 previously.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by BenRoethig

I am not sure what single-purpose gaming chips means.

Gaming is probably the most computationally demanding application imaginable.

On the GPU side -

Next gen games features very big graphical datasets, high texture quality, complex shaders and so on.

On the CPU side -

games have to cope with physics simulations, collision detection, and deliver a 60Hz instant interactivity, which would shame a typical "desktop app".

A whole game engine has to shift data around at such a rate that any bottlenecks in data flow screw up games badly.

What I am saying is that good gaming performance normally is indicative of good general performance, because gaming is not a trivial or narrow application. Where things differ is that gaming hardware is often designed with speed (and not ease of programming in mind).

Comparisons between the PowerPC core in the XBox360 and a G5 is not easy. But the earlier Xenon Dev-kits were dual-processor 2GHz G5 Power Macs. I think these were regarded as running at some 60% of the final console hardware.

Carni.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    Quote:

Gaming is probably the most graphically demanding application imaginable.

TFTFY.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    By "single purpose gaming chips" he meant that the chip was built from the ground up for gaming. General purpose CPUs are much more complex (and expensive) than the PPC's going into the consoles.

What you describe the CPU tasks to be are accurate, but also relative. The PPCs inside the game consoles would be pretty weak substitutes for desktop chips, for example.

They're just different.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Xbox360 already in production...

They mean

"Well, Bill, that's a pretty high pile of hard drives, ain't it?"
  • Reply 19 of 19
    Didn't know whether this might warrant a new thread, but Toshiba seems to have confirmed (indirectly) that PS3 might be out the door in March of next year or so...

(Link)

Seems a logical reasoning by El reg.