copy a dvd

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hello I'm very new to the mac and could use some help. I want to make a copy of one of my dvd's. I have installed mac the ripper and can use it to down load to my harddrive. My problem is i cant seem to burn a copy of this to a dvd that will play in a standard dvd player. Please help.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by evilcat

Hello I'm very new to the mac and could use some help. I want to make a copy of one of my dvd's. I have installed mac the ripper and can use it to down load to my harddrive. My problem is i cant seem to burn a copy of this to a dvd that will play in a standard dvd player. Please help.

There are two additional issues:

1. Is the source DVD single (around 4 Gb) or dual layer (up to double that 4 Gb)? If it's single, you're OK, but if it's dual, you'll either need a compressor like DVD2oneX or Roxio Popcorn, or you'll need a dual layer drive and DVD media (expensive).

2. You need to burn the DVD in the right format. Most people use Toast and burn it as a video DVD, but I believe you can use the Finder to burn as long as it's set up properly by some other software. I believe DVD2onex does that, but I can't speak from experience.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Thanks for the quick reply. So I guess I need to purchase a copy of Toast or similar before proceeding.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    Toast 7 will do all of this for you. its a very powerful app, well worth the money imo.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by evilcat

Thanks for the quick reply. So I guess I need to purchase a copy of Toast or similar before proceeding.

Popcorn is what you're looking for. Of course, Toast 7 incorporates much of the DVD compression Popcorn uses plus all the extras of Toast.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    IIRC, you could also import the video into iMovie and then to iDVD but i think you will take a quality hit. I could be wrong about this though
  • Reply 6 of 6
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    So Toast 7 compresses DVDs now. I assume it doesn't remove the copy protection from commercial DVDs though?